Time machine and mouse unmounts

Reaction score
For no apparent reason, I'm not tracking the interval but it is on the order of every one to two weeks, my Time Machine Backuo unmounts and my Logitech Mouse becomes disconnected from the Logitech Controller in my System Preferences. These don't happen at the same time. This started when I installed High Sierra, 10.6, I can restore both my disconnecting them from their USB slots and then reconnecting, but it is a PITA. Any thoughts?.

Reaction score
Logitech Mice and the "associated" Logic Control Center can be frustrating! Myself, I use a Logitech M525 cord less mouse on my late 2012 Mac Mini, and a Logitech M325 cord less mouse on my mid 2017 MacBook Air, and the Logitech Control Center does me no good (I am also running the latest version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.6, on both machines). In fact, it is not required for me to have it (and actually interferes with operations involving the mouse). But for "some" other models, the Logitech Control Center is required. I believe the version of that software is now V3.9.7.56, released last month. Here is the link for it, in case you need it (note that it is compatible with Mojave):

https://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/logitech-control-center-for-macintosh-os-x

I use SuperDuper! for my backups, and I am not having this issue. If you either have the Logitech software, or you install it and still have issues, you might want to consider doing a clean, fresh installation of High Sierra, and then "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from your Time Machine backup. However, not sure if there is a "problematic" file/folder on your system (and thus on the backup) that is causing the issue.

Reaction score
Logitech Mice and the "associated" Logic Control Center can be frustrating! Myself, I use a Logitech M525 cord less mouse on my late 2012 Mac Mini, and a Logitech M325 cord less mouse on my mid 2017 MacBook Air, and the Logitech Control Center does me no good (I am also running the latest version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.6, on both machines). In fact, it is not required for me to have it (and actually interferes with operations involving the mouse). But for "some" other models, the Logitech Control Center is required. I believe the version of that software is now V3.9.7.56, released last month. Here is the link for it, in case you need it (note that it is compatible with Mojave):

https://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/logitech-control-center-for-macintosh-os-x

I use SuperDuper! for my backups, and I am not having this issue. If you either have the Logitech software, or you install it and still have issues, you might want to consider doing a clean, fresh installation of High Sierra, and then "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from your Time Machine backup. However, not sure if there is a "problematic" file/folder on your system (and thus on the backup) that is causing the issue.

A much delayed and tardy thank you for you assistance.
I use a 1T La Cie hard drive for my time Machine. I'm going to keep a record of the unmount timings to perhaps find a clue.

Using the mouse Sys preferences doesn't give me all the control I get with the Logitech Control Center. So I will see if there is any pattern to the unmounts.

Thanks again. Always nice to know, "We are not Alone"

Reaction score
I used to use that model (still have it), and it started giving me fits. Also I remember last year that it "struggled" with High Sierra. That's why I purchased an m525 for my Mac Mini, and have not looked back (I previously had the smaller m325 for my MacBook Air, and it always worked fine). Neither of them require (nor should it be used) the Logitech Control Center software, as they work well with the Mouse System Preference built into the Mac OS.

Reaction score
I used to use that model (still have it), and it started giving me fits. Also I remember last year that it "struggled" with High Sierra. That's why I purchased an m525 for my Mac Mini, and have not looked back (I previously had the smaller m325 for my MacBook Air, and it always worked fine). Neither of them require (nor should it be used) the Logitech Control Center software, as they work well with the Mouse System Preference built into the Mac OS.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I shorthanded the version number. That's the one I am using.

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into that. I shorthanded the version number. That's the one I am using.

Not sure what you mean by that. Are you using the M310, or the M525? As I stated, if you are using the M525 (and/or it's "sibling", the M325), do not use the Logitech Control Center software with either of those models.

Reaction score
I am using the M310 and will look into replacing it. With the Mouse System Preference built into the Mac OS, can I program the buttons to do specific tasks like I can do with the Logitech Control Center?

Reaction score
I have never really needed to "program" anything extra for the mice have owned, so when I was able to use it, I did not do much with the Logitech Control Center features. For the Mouse System Preference (you can actually see it also), all one can do is adjust the tracking speed, the scrolling speed, double-click speed, and choose the Primary Mouse Button. All of that is fine for me.

Reaction score
Understand. But it just seems that Logitech does not devote much effort for Mac-compatibility of their mice. Again, I just remember "struggling" with the M310 and High Sierra compatibility, and I just gave up and purchased the M525 (think it was $9.95 (on sale) at Best Buy)

Reaction score
I've got my mouse issues resolved but still don't have a clue why the Time machine unmounts at random times. I can't relate it to any events. As I said earlier it is a PITA! I'm using OS 10.13.6

Ask a Question