How to open Apple Photos from Time Machine backup ?.

Reaction score
Hi, In Time Machine backup on ( MacOS Sierra ) I can open Files & Folders in Documents but can’t open Apple Photos to view my Photos. Any help would be appreciated. ( Just started using Time Machine so go easy on me ).

John.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a particular reason you are trying to view any files from your Time Machine backup directly? You really shouldn't attempt this, as it can change the modified date and possibly corrupt the Time machine backup. Time Machine isn't designed to be accessed other than via the Time Machine software window to recover/restore files that were accidentally deleted, or when restoring an entire backup to a new hard drive, etc.

Here's a helpful article that explains things a bit further: How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

If you could give us some more detail, we'd be glad to help.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

I understand now that I can’t open Photos on Time Machine Backup, The only reason I wanted to open it was to check inside to make sure it had backed up all of my Photos inside, Am I right in assuming theres no way of being certain that all my Photos have been backed up, I now realise I can’t use Time Machine Backup to randomly open Folders & Files ( thanks for pointing that out ), I am using:- macOS Sierra 10.12.6 ( iMac 22.5” 2017 ).

John.

Ask a Question