Obtaining a satisfactory mouse pad

Reaction score
I was having difficulty getting the cursor to follow mouse movements. There seemed to be a very loose connection between mouse and cursor. Then suddenly I discovered the cause of the problem. A mouse pad that I had been using for years (perhaps more than a decade), feels slippery over most of surface except toward the edges. It became slippery from long time use. Then for curiosity, I tried using the mouse on the bare desk, and I found excellent results from that. On the bare desk, the cursor follows the mouse extremely well. Therefore I need a new mouse pad.
Then at Staples, I found a mouse pad with a picture of a beagle dog, and I happen to have a beagle. So I jumped at the chance to get a mouse pad with a picture of my dog. But disappointment came when I found that the beagle mouse pad has the same problem of cursor disconnect. The beagle mouse pad also feels slippery. So I messaged. the Staples customer service web page. Their reply is that a picture mouse pad would be slippery, in order for the picture to not rub off -- and they recommended a specific mouse pad that has a solid color. Would you believe that one is slipppery too. Therefore I advise you, "Don't buy a mouse pad from Staples."
So the question that I am asking the forum is how can I be sure of getting a satisfactory mouse pad. Or should I just use the mouse on the bare desk?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It it an Apple optical Magic Mouse? If so, they prefer solid colors with a little texture. Too slippery can cause issues, especially if they are semi-reflective. You can always test it by using the mouse on a solid colored shirt you're wearing...they work very well there. ;)

A bare wood desk is also fine. But, if you can find a non-shiny, solid colored, slightly textured mouse pad, that would be best.

C

Reaction score
Cory,

I believe that it is an Apple optical Magic Mouse. It came with the new iMac that I purchased in September 2017. Maybe that is why the erratic cursor has happened more often with the new iMac.

I will commend Apple for that with the new iMacs, a wireless mouse no longer sucks. Part of that may be because the new wireless mouses have a rechargeable battery. Before September, I had a 7 year old iMac (overdue for replacement). That one also came with a wireless mouse, but it had problems. Back then a wireless mouse used two AA batteries. Every damn time I replaced those batteries, I had great difficulty getting BlueTooth to recognize that the mouse exists. So then I obtained a USB mouse to be done with the difficulty. With the new iMac, the wireless mouse is here to stay.

As for my desk, it isn't wood, but it is simulated wood in a veneer.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I use my Magic Mouse 2 on my simulated wooden computer desk top & it work like a charm. Occasionally I flip it over to inspect the tracking isn't collecting foreign matter.

Reaction score
In my opinion Magic Mouse, in 90% of cases, works better with a mousepad. Because none of the solutions offered on the market met my expectations, I decided to act on my own. With my friend I designed a special mousepad for MagicMouse and we are preparing a Kickstarter campaign with that. I do not know if I can paste the link here but i can send you a link in private message. I'm very curious about your opinion:)

Reaction score
I have a clear glass desktop so a mousepad is required, I use a 9' square piece of cushion vinyl that I had left over from covering the kitchen floor, excellent!

Reaction score
I have been using Logitech mice for quite some time, and I have never needed a mouse pad. They seem to work quite well on a number of "surfaces". Right now, I am using my Mac Mini, and my Logitech m525 wireless mouse is resting on a wood drawer on my desk (right next to my Apple keyboard). For my 13" MacBook Air (both the new one and the mid 2013 model), I use the machine in my bedroom, on my bed, and the Logitech m325 mouse works fine even when I have it on the bed itself (resting on top of sheets).