Create a (very simple) drag and drop list builder

Reaction score
We are a small interior design company based outside London.

How would you go about creating a very basic script/app that would display a predefined text list of locations (e.g. "Bathroom1") and actions (e.g. "source shower tray) in one window and would allow us to simply drag and drop the selected items into a second window?

explan.jpg

Purpose of this is to save time and not to have to type long lists of "to dos" in our quotes. Once the list is ready, we would paste it into our Word quote.

I have no idea if it is something that could be done with e.g. Automator or anything else - and I have the feeling this type of function must have been developed thousands of times.

Long and short, if anyone can point us towards the simplest way of creating a simple, text only script, I will try to learn the scripting tool – or if you know of any existing script that does this – happy days!

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Most of us here aren't very experienced with AppleScript/Automator. Maybe the folks over at MacScripter could lend a hand.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory.

I have no idea what would be the best language to create this functionality, I only mention Automator because it is fairly simple to use. Any pointer would help. Kind regards

Reaction score
Is this the kind of thing you are looking for LINK.
It is a bit basic and needs refinement, but my coding is a bit rusty.

Reaction score
Is this the kind of thing you are looking for LINK.
It is a bit basic and needs refinement, but my coding is a bit rusty.

GREAT! This is very much along these lines.

In terms of layout, this is brilliant, it does not need to be refined any further as we only need to copy the final text content in the first column to paste it in Word.

I have looked at the source: am I right in understanding this is all javascript? This would mean that, provided you are happy to give us you go ahead, we could use this source, copy it onto an html page on our server and play around this function, simply by adding our own data draggable items?

Again, big thanks for your help. This is far more than pointing us in the right direction.

Reaction score
No problem, It is javascript. there are 3 files involved, index.html, script.js and style.css.
You are welcome to play around with these to suit your needs.
I can email you copies of the files if you want.

Ask a Question