Contacts preferences bug?

Reaction score
When I try to print labels Contacts puts the last name before the first name, although I have elected to show the first name before last name in Preferences (General). The list DOES display first name first, but the setting is lost under the print command. Both the .pdf version and the print-out continue to put last name first.

Any suggestions for a work-around? I updated from Catalina to Big Sur in an effort to solve this issue to no effect. Same thing happens with envelopes style.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I haven't printed labels from the Contacts application personally, but maybe this article will help:

Print mailing labels, envelopes, and contact lists in Contacts on Mac

I tested it out and it prints correctly on my Macs running High Sierra and Big Sur. The only thing I can think of would be to check the formatting in the contacts themselves...make sure they are set as people instead of a company.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. The problem clearly lies in some problem on my own computer since you were able to print correctly. I've meticulously reviewed the Print Mailing Labels instructions you were kind enough to provide a link for at least 50 times and have replicated the settings. The label layout does not include a company. It just insists on printing Doe John rather than John Doe. I've turned the application on and off. Turned the computer on and off and tried to switch between defaults for iCloud and On My Mac.
Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 6.51.20 PM.png

Attachments

• JohnDoe.pdf
    8.9 KB · Views: 85

Ask a Question