SOLVED Address Book (Contacts)

Reaction score
I have a two year old 27" iMac.

I have just changed from Majove over to CATALINA.

Since upgrading to Catalina, my GROUP contact lists will not stay in the BCC or CC windows, it just pops right out ! I am well into my senior years, so please will you advise me in very simple terms.

Please can you help /advise me. Many thanks.

Stay safe and stay well everyone.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

My apologies! When I search for unanswered tickets, this didn't come up, since you added a second post. It sometimes will take us a few days, since we are all here on a volunteer basis. ;)

That said, I will be happy to help with this issue.

-Are the contact Groups still listed in your Contacts application?
-When you compose an email and type in the Group name, do you press the Return key?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

My apologies! When I search for unanswered tickets, this didn't come up, since you added a second post. It sometimes will take us a few days, since we are all here on a volunteer basis. ;)

That said, I will be happy to help with this issue.

-Are the contact Groups still listed in your Contacts application?
-When you compose an email and type in the Group name, do you press the Return key?

C
Hello Cory, thank you so much for your reply. The people on this site have been so helpful to me before, so it came as a disappointment when I didn't get a reply (even a negative one), so many thanks to you.

My group contacts are still where they have always been and listed in groups (since before I upgraded to Catalina), at the bottom of my screen. Usually I just write an email and I can drag and drop them into my BCC slot.......but now, they immediately pop out ! They just won't "hold" in the BCC slot for a single second. This means that I can't press return, because there's no names of recipients in the address slot.

Again, many thanks for giving this problem some thought for me.

Reaction score
Hello Cory, thank you so much for your reply. The people on this site have been so helpful to me before, so it came as a disappointment when I didn't get a reply (even a negative one), so many thanks to you.

My group contacts are still where they have always been and listed in groups (since before I upgraded to Catalina), at the bottom of my screen. Usually I just write an email and I can drag and drop them into my BCC slot.......but now, they immediately pop out ! They just won't "hold" in the BCC slot for a single second. This means that I can't press return, because there's no names of recipients in the address slot.

Again, many thanks for giving this problem some thought for me.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi again,

Can you give me a little more information...

-What do you mean by "at the bottom of my screen"?

In the Contacts application, the groups will be listed on the left sidebar of the application window. If you click on one, it will list the contacts in that group. In the Mail application, you should be able to simply click in the Cc: or Bcc: field, start typing the name and it will auto-fill. When you see the correct group, you can press the Return key and it will use that group to email.

Or..
-Are you accessing your email in Safari or Chrome, and maybe have you email and contacts there?
-Or do you have an icon of your contact groups that you are dragging into that field - like in the image below? This gives me what you are describing - I drag the "vCard" of the group and it snaps back without adding the emails to the Cc: or Bcc: field.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 15.58.18.png

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory,

My apps are along the bottom of my screen, including my app, including my address book. I use MAC MAIL for my emails.

I don't use Chrome at all.....if anything, I use Safari or Firefox.

Before I downloaded Catalina, I would type my email, click on my address book, click on the group I wanted and when highlighted just drag and drop into the BCC field. Now though, it will not drag and drop.

Sorry, I have never heard of a v card.

I'm so sorry for being such a bother.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, I think I understand.

My iMac running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra acts the same way...I cannot drag the group into the field from the Contacts application. I can start typing the name of the group in the Cc: or Bcc: field, and it will auto-fill the name. Then I can press the Return key and it will stay. Maybe that functionality was removed in Catalina...I can test it on a Catalina Mac tomorrow.

vCard stands for a file format standard for electronic business cards. It is how most address book/contact applications store you contacts.

What version of OS X/macOS did you upgrade to Catalina from?

Not a bother at all!

C

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what version I upgraded from Cory, just that I had Majove before and Sierra before that. My computer is a 27" Mac, exactly two years old last month.

I'm currently doing as you mentioned above and typing the name of the group into the field and it then auto fills, so that does at least help me out for the time being.

Thank you for testing out on a Catalina Mac, I'm REALLY INTERESTED to know whether the function was removed ?

Really appreciating your help and your patience regarding this.

Kind regards,
Pat

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Glad the suggestion is working for you. I did test it out, and Apple didn't remove that functionality after all. It actually works on Catalaina and the upcoming Big Sur. Not sure why it isn't working on your Mac.

Email a group of contacts in Contacts on Mac

Along with the typing/auto-fill method above, you can Control-click or Right-click on a Group in Contacts and choose Send Email to "Group name", and it will create a new email to that group. But, that puts the group email addresses in the To: field, not Cc: or Bcc:, so you would have to drag them to the appropriate field.

I assume you can drag and drop other things into the body of a new email - photos, documents, etc.?

I will look around and see if I can find any further troubleshooting to restore the functionality.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question