SOLVED Can't share photos via Mail any longer

Reaction score
I love my 20" mid 2007 iMac running El Capitan (version 10.11.6). However about two weeks ago all of a sudden I can no longer share photos that I took via Apple Mail. When I called Apple, they said that my OS no longer supports sharing photos, even as attachments. The iMac cannot be upgraded any more. I am not planning to put thousands of old photos on iCloud. They said I should buy a new computer with OS no earlier than Big Sur (version 11). I want to continue to use a 20" desktop because I have an oak computer desk with a monitor space that size (non adjustable). I believe that the last 20" desktop is a late 2009 that can run High Sierra. High Sierra is the earliest OS for which Apple still gives directions for sharing photos via email. My questions: What are reputable businesses that sell refurbished imacs? How much memory could I put on the late 2009 iMac? How long would you expect that High Sierra will be viable for normal, personal interest, text writing, photo sharing use?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you could look at older refurbished Macs, as they are still viable depending on the model and maximum version of OS X/macOS they can run. But, as they continue to age, they will continue to not be able to update to the latest security protocols and will have difficulty access some websites and online resources.

Currently, macOS High Sierra works for most websites, but there are a few that it is starting to be too old for. In addition, some of the recent versions of major software no longer support anything before macOS Catalina, and with the impending release of macOS Monterey, High Sierra will then be five versions behind since it was release in 2017.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009) can run a maximum of 16 GB.

As for size, the current iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) is not that much different in physical size than your iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), since the bezel size has been reduced:
  • iMac (20-inch Mid 2007): 18.5" H x 19.1" W x 7.4" D
  • iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021): 18.1" H x 21.5" W x 5.8" D
As far as reputable refurbished Mac resellers, a few that come to mind are:
Hope that helps!

C

Reaction score
Thank you, Corey! I never would have imagined that a 24" new MacOS would measure the same as an older 21.5" iMac. Unfortunately my hole for the computer in oak desk is 20.75" no matter how I try to wish that away. So I am reconciled to buying something that measures 21.5 (sitting outside the hole) but still desirous of a built in optical drive. As I understand it, Catalina was the first OS to require 64 bit apps, which I don't really understand as a limiting factor except that I am sure mine are all 32 bit. I think that leaves me looking for Mojave running on a late 2012 iMac. There are two components that I don't understand as far as updating, if you don't mind. What is SSD and what is a fusion drive? If neither is that valuable to an ordinary user with lots of pictures, maybe I could just stick with High Sierra, in hopes of getting another 5 years out it. Thank you again for advice on staying in the game, but just barely. Dorothy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

SSD: Solid State Drive - no moving parts, much faster and more reliable than a conventional hard disk drive.
Fusion Drive: Apple's hybrid of a Flash/SSD drive and conventional hard disk drive.

SSD drives normally have less storage space. but are much faster, so keep that in mind. Fusion drives are nice, because the frequently used files are stored on the flash/SSD part of the drive for a speed improvement, and less frequently used files are stored on the standard hard drive part. They usually have the same amount of storage space as a standard drive.

Only more recent Macs/versions of macOS require 64-bit apps. If you move to a newer version of macOS on a newer Mac, you may have to update or purchase upgrades for some of your older software titles.

C

Ask a Question