SOLVED Can't play MacBook Pro video via HDMI adapter on TV

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro with 4 usb-c ports. I'm using an adapter to run HDMI to my TV. I get audio but not video. TV screen displays MacBook Pro desktop image with top horizontal line showing browser name and file, edit, view, history etc. How can I get the video to display?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Are you trying to play videos on the TV instead of the built-in display? If so, it sounds like it may be in Extended Desktop mode since you are getting audio, where it sees the TV as a second display. You can try dragging the video window to the TV "display", or change the Displays setting in System Preferences... to Mirroring.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, I'm trying to play streaming content channels like directvstream, hbo, pbs, etc. I can't get any images to display, only audio.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad that worked

You can also just drag the browser window to the TV "desktop" in Extended Desktop mode (not mirrored). You may get a better video image that way, depending on your Mac and TV models and resolutions.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question