SOLVED MS Word can't display or print picture

Reaction score
How do I fix “ There is not enough memory or disk space to display or print the picture.” I have Word for Mac v. 16.48. I have Mac OS 10.14.6 with 8 GB memory. There are no other applications open.

Reaction score
Try saving the file in a different format. i.e Save as Word 97-2004 Document (.doc) and the re-open.

How much free disk space do you have?

Reaction score
Try saving the file in a different format. i.e Save as Word 97-2004 Document (.doc) and the re-open.

How much free disk space do you have?

It was in .doc format, so I re-saved it. There is 272GB of free disk space. The file is still behaving the same way.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

How large is the Word document?
How large is the photo in the Word document?

C

Reaction score
Do you have another Word document with a smaller image? Or how about starting with a blank document and placing an image? Then try printing, saving, and re-opening.

Reaction score
Do you have another Word document with a smaller image? Or how about starting with a blank document and placing an image? Then try printing, saving, and re-opening.
I have another document with the image. It is a logo. The logo shows in the other document, so I copied it and pasted it into the document where it doesn't display. The logo now displays there, so I saved the file and closed it. When I reopened the file, the logo did not display - only an empty box shows. So I repasted the logo and did a "Save As" in .docx format instead of the .doc format it was previously in. I closed the .docx file and when I reopened it the logo displays normally. I also saved it as a .pdf and it displays normally there, too. I think this fixed it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Reaction score
I have another document with the image. It is a logo. The logo shows in the other document, so I copied it and pasted it into the document where it doesn't display. The logo now displays there, so I saved the file and closed it. When I reopened the file, the logo did not display - only an empty box shows. So I repasted the logo and did a "Save As" in .docx format instead of the .doc format it was previously in. I closed the .docx file and when I reopened it the logo displays normally. I also saved it as a .pdf and it displays normally there, too. I think this fixed it. Thanks everyone for your help.
That’s great news. The legacy Word document format (.doc) had always been problematic it cases such as this, and the .docx was a welcome innovation. This is especially true when you try to use the “Link to File” feature which is useful for saving space and when the image can be subject to future edits.

Think about it. For example, say you have to create a document with several dozen instances of the same logo, only to learn later that the logo needs to be changed. Simply pasting in the logo originally will mean you have to replace ALL of the instances you first created. If you used “Link to File,” all you need to do is edit the original file and, theoretically, all of the images in your Word document will be updated.

I haven’t tried this myself since I work in InDesign, which is more reliable in operations like this, so your mileage might vary.

Ask a Question