Can't reset admin password on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor and 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM which I bought used some years ago. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't have an admin password. On the very rare occasions when we've been asked for one I've just hit 'return' and been able to continue without one. Until now...
I would like to install rEFInd, create a disk partition and run Xubuntu on the other side of the partition. To install rEFInd I need a password.
I tried to reset the admin password by inserting the first install cd, holding down the C key, going under "Utilities" to "Rese Password and...resetting. I chose the identity "System (root),' as that was the only option offered. I was then told that I didn't have permission to reset that password, or else there had been a failure.
Is there any other way to reset--or create--my password?
Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you for your patience.
Joanna

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
As for Terminal not showing you the password this is correct and how Terminal works. As for the error message, what was it?

I read your original post & you wouldn't be changing the Root password as that is different to the Admin password ... this Admin account is it the one you use all the time? Just pressing the Return key when prompted for the password is something I haven't heard of before.

Reaction score
If just hitting return works, then you definitely have no password defined.

In terminal, just run the "passwd" command (not parameters needed). Hit enter if it asks for your current password. Then you will be prompted to enter your new password (twice).

Ask a Question