SOLVED MAIL suddenly does not recognize my account passwords & I can't access my mail

Reaction score
I have several email accounts that I run through Mac Mail. Usually with no problem. These include an SBC account and my business emails. Every now and then, Mail asks for my password for one or the other of these. But it will not recognize what I enter. It will say something like, This account and password is not verified. So then I try and set up a new account from scratch... and it says, sorry you already have an account under this email.

How do I get around this? It's frustrating. I love Mail and do not want to fuss around with some other system.
What is the solution?

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions to get started:
-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-What mail providers/types (Exchange/Gmail/self-hosted) of accounts are the business email accounts?
-Have you tried re-entering or updating the password in System Preferences... > Internet Accounts, instead of in the Mail app?

C

Reaction score
1, MacAir 13", Mid 2013

2. Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1

3. yahoo sbcglobal; the others are self=hosted through BlueHost and my business account, 2 different ones under 2 different biz names, all from BlueHost

4. Yes, I always start with System Preferences. It also used to show more of the whole set-up process and you could change your password. Now it just says Details: and shows my email address, Name (my name) and I hit ok and the following pops up:
Unable to verify account name or password.

When I went to yahoo itself (sbc is under yahoo) and put in my password, it opened up immediately.

So then I try and start with a new account under system prefs and it says, "This account already exists."

So I'm stuck - not able to add a new one and unable to access the old one. How do you see the entire set-up process like it used to be? there was a diagnostic help button and none of that is available anymore. I have a huge number of emails in my sbc account. Yes, I know they need to be cleaned out but I don't want to lose them by deleting the account.

Any help or suggestions? By the way, this has happened over the years with all the various Macs I've owned.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

If your folders and emails are stored on the various servers (IMAP), and can been seen when you login via a web browser to your account(s), you should be able to safely delete the account and re-add it from within the Internet Accounts preference pane. Of course, it is always wise to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your Mac's data.

Is there a particular reason you are still on macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra? The current version is 10.13.6. You can download and install the macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update, which includes all the fixes and security updates since 10.13.

Check on the mailboxes/emails via webmail to see if they are safe.

C

Ask a Question