Can't see my camera

Reaction score
Hi,
I have posted here because although I have had a emac for 5 years I am no way a computer whiz and I am learning all the time.
My question is. I have bought a Canon ixus 75 (great little camera) but I can't transfer my movies I have taken on it into my Mac. There is no evidence anywhere of it on the desktop, AT ALL. I can't find any trace of it anywhere on my computer. This also means I have to just unplug it without ejecting when I have finished downloading my photos.
Please can someone help as I really want to keep these movies.
I have OS X 10.4.11 and iphoto 2.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have posted here because although I have had a emac for 5 years I am no way a computer whiz and I am learning all the time.
My question is. I have bought a Canon ixus 75 (great little camera) but I can't transfer my movies I have taken on it into my Mac. There is no evidence anywhere of it on the desktop, AT ALL. I can't find any trace of it anywhere on my computer. This also means I have to just unplug it without ejecting when I have finished downloading my photos.
Please can someone help as I really want to keep these movies.
I have OS X 10.4.11 and iphoto 2.
Thanks.

Hello, fellow eMac user here. Firstly, I know that I sound like a broken record as I've said this a number of times- Please refrain from yanking the USB plug out of its port unless its volume has been ejected. If you can't eject the volume at the very least, shut down your Mac and then disconnect the USB plug.
Here's some steps that you might consider taking-
1. With your camera plugged in to the USB port, open System Profiler and click on the USB tab. If your camera is listed here it means that it's recognized by the system. If your curious, you could click on the tab that has the name of your camera and it will show you some info about it. Incidentally, the volume to your camera should also appear in the Disk Utilities window as well where you can verify and repair it if necessary.
2. If the system recognizes your camera, go to Finder Preferences, click on the General tab and make sure that the CD's, DVD's and iPod's box under the "Show these items on the Desktop" heading are checked. You can also click the Sidebar tab and click on the Removable Media box if you want it added to your Sidebar.

Reaction score
When you connect your camera, load up Finder, an in the left pane of the finder window (where it normally says network/mac hdd etc, there should be an icon there that looks like a removable drive with an arrow next to it - this is your camera.

Double click on that and then into the folder and somewhere there your movies should be listed. Just right-click on them and copy to your desktop or designated folder.

Reaction score
Hi again,
Thankyou for both replies.
Firstly, Kyomii,
That is the way I used to get the Movies from my old Fugifilm camers but can't do it that way with this one. Regretfully. Do you have any other ideas please?

Secondly,Walrus666,
I will shutdown in future before dissconnecting!
Also I did what you said and it recognises my Camera and I checked the 'show things on your desktop' and it was already ticked. But it is still not there.
Do you have any other ideas please please.

Thank You both for your advice.

G

Reaction score
i don't understand why you cannot do it that way? The computer must be recognizing the camera for you to be able to offload pictures.

IF the drive is not showing via Finder or on the desktop, then you need to click on Finder.

At the top bar, next to the apple, it will say Finder, click on that and go to preferences. In the window that comes up, click on sidebar - then ensure that all those devices are ticked. (removable media is the key here)

Now unplug your camera safely, restart your Mac completely, then once loaded, plug in the camera again. You should get a hard drive type icon on the desktop - navigate through that to find your videos and copy and paste.

Reaction score
Thanks loads.
I did what you suggested but it is no where to be seen. I made sure all the side bar boxes were ticked, restarted, plugged in my camera....nothing.
I even search for my camera by name and all it comes up with is the photos I have already downloaded, nothing about the camera I have plugged into my computer.
Might it be my camera and not my Mac? If you have any other suggestions I will be very grateful. Meantime I will investigate my camera further.
Thanks.
G

Reaction score
Thanks loads.
I did what you suggested but it is no where to be seen. I made sure all the side bar boxes were ticked, restarted, plugged in my camera....nothing.
I even search for my camera by name and all it comes up with is the photos I have already downloaded, nothing about the camera I have plugged into my computer.
Might it be my camera and not my Mac? If you have any other suggestions I will be very grateful. Meantime I will investigate my camera further.
Thanks.
G
Check to make sure that you have no loose connections and if you use a battery for your camera, make sure that the batteries are good. If you're still having problems,
you can connect something else using the same USB port and plug and see if your Mac recognizes that. If it's recognized, it's likely that your camera is the culprit.

Ask a Question