Cant network a mac with pc....arghhh

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm trying to network a pc and mac. The mac is a Powerbook g4 1.5 17" and Windows xp pro w/sp2. Here is the catch though. The person does not have a modem nor router, so i was trying to do without any network base, just a ethernet cable. I read in some places u can. Well, i tried it and man..........it just does not work. I enabled sharing on both pc's. Turned off the firewall in the mac, created sharing folders....arghhhhhh........big zip. So, do they need to have some kind of network base??? Any ideas would help..thanks:p

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

you can connect a PC via ethernet directly to a Mac.

Have you got both computers network connections the same ? ie on the same network range ?

To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:

Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.

Make sure that both computers are turned on.

In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.

Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:

smb://DNSname/ShareName
smb://IPaddress/ShareName
Click Connect.

Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.

Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.

Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.

When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
No problem,

make sure the computers are on the same network...

ie

192.168.0.10 for the PC and 192.168.0.11

regards

Ric

Ask a Question