Can't install OS: 100% bootable USB not showing up, cmd+option+r 5101F OR "An error occurred while preparing the installation". SSD swap possible?

Reaction score
Hello,
I can't install Big Sur or High Sierra on 1704 touch bar macbook pro.
I have an USB with Big Sur, I used it to install the OS on a 2014 mac mini. It is showing up in disk utility but I can't boot from it (holding option key after power button).
cmd+option+r leads to the 5101F error.
cmd+r want to install High Sierra but leads to An error occurred while preparing the installation
I set the date in the terminal to 2015, then German time and last I get the time update from apple.com through a terminal command. No luck, same error message.
The internal SSD is properly formatted.
Any ideas?
What happens if I take the M.2 SSD from mac mini and put it into the macbook?

Reaction score
Not sure which model the 1704 is. I don't see that in my database.

If you have a bootable copy of Big Sur then what you need to do is set your date to Dec 2020 of later. Setting the date to 2015 is 5 years before Big Sur was released.

Also Sigh Sierra was released in Sept of 2017, so to install that you need a date after that.

Reaction score
Not sure which model the 1704 is. I don't see that in my database.

If you have a bootable copy of Big Sur then what you need to do is set your date to Dec 2020 of later. Setting the date to 2015 is 5 years before Big Sur was released.

Also Sigh Sierra was released in Sept of 2017, so to install that you need a date after that.
I know the A1707 covers the 2016 an2017 15" MacBook Pros.

Ask a Question