Can't install HP driver with OS 10.4

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a new printer but the installation software only works with OS 10.5 and up and I've got 10.4.11

The computer's not recognizing the printer.

Is there any way to get the printer to work?

Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Well you're going to have to tell us more about the new printer but so far it doesn't look favourable, we'll have to see ...

Reaction score
Ah, it's an HP Deskjet 3000.

Is it hopeless?

It looks like the more inexpensive printers out there now are for OS 10.5 and 10.6. There are a few older ones that OS 10.4 and 10.5 will support. When I get a new mac, will it have the drivers for the older printers?

Thanks for your help!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Ah, it's an HP Deskjet 3000.

Is it hopeless?

It looks like the more inexpensive printers out there now are for OS 10.5 and 10.6. There are a few older ones that OS 10.4 and 10.5 will support. When I get a new mac, will it have the drivers for the older printers?

Thanks for your help!

It does appear that the HP Deskjet 3000 doesn't support Mac OS Tiger ... I have found a few sites for you to look over but if you still have the receipt for the HP then you should return it for a compatible printer ...

HP 2100 and Mac OS 10.4 Issue

HP Printers - Mac OS: List of HP Print only Drivers built into Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger)

Mac OS X 10.4: Included printer drivers and PostScript PPD files

Gutenprint FAQ for Mac OS X and Darwin

What is Gutenprint? Why would I want to install it?

Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) is a package of high quality printer drivers for Mac OS X, Darwin, Linux, BSD, Solaris, IRIX, and other UNIX-alike operating systems. In many cases, these drivers rival or exceed the OEM drivers in quality and functionality. Our goal is to produce the highest possible output quality from all supported printers. To that end, we have done extensive work on screening algorithms, color generation, and printer feature utilization. We are continuing our work in all of these areas to produce ever higher quality results, particularly on the ubiquitous, inexpensive inkjet printers that are nonetheless capable of nearly photographic output quality. Additionally, Gutenprint provides excellent drivers for many printers that are otherwise unsupported on Mac OS X.​

Good Luck :)

Ask a Question