can't connect

Reaction score
I have an imac G5 without an Airport card which connects to the internet via DSL. I now also have an ibook G4, with an Airport card, which I want to connect to using our current ISP using Airport Express. It's not working; the amber light blinks on the Express and we can't get anything to configure or connect. Help!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

How have you got everything plugged in ? What's physically connected to what ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
We plugged the DSL Ethernet cable into Airport and Airport into the wall. The indicator light goes green for a moment then blinks yellow. We have tried resetting, but that doesn't do anything. Our g5 does not have an airport card inside; does that have anything to do with it? From what I understand, it shouldn't, because we're only trying to connect the laptop to our current ISP line.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Can I just check is it currently plugged in like this ?

networkdiagram001.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yes. We have the two ethernet cables going into the modem via a splitter. So:

phone jack to modem
ethernet cable from modem to G5 - splitter - another ethernet cable from modem to airport express
airport express in wall jack

and the yellow light blinks on and on

when we remove the ethernet cable from the modem which is connected to airport express, the G5 connection is fine

nida

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that !

If it is a 'splitter' in the networking sense that I know, then there is no way in your current configuration that a 'splitter' would work.

Ideally you need a hub or a switch...

Is this how it is configured...

networkdiagram002.jpg

regards

Ric

Ask a Question