Mac Pro 2009 can't connect to internet

Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently brought a Mac Pro from 2009 off ebay with OSX snow leapord 10.6 and I'm trying to connect to internet but unlike a mac laptop the "connect to wifi option doesn't just appear on the screen,instead I see two angular braces in opposite directions. I use a router for internet/wifi. I tried to "fix" the problem and going into the network area but kept getting lost in what all the jargon mean't

In the Network window theres 3 places Ethernet,FireWire,AirPort(with red dots next to each), in videos that I looked up there should be a Wifi option aswell but its not there for me.

I've tried the Assist me but it doesn't "connect to my ISP automatically".

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

In Snow Leopard, wireless was known as AirPort, not Wi-Fi, so that's the section in Networks you will use to connect. Hopefully your Mac Pro has an AirPort card installed, or you won't be able to use wireless connections.

To make sure it has an AirPort card:
 > System Preferences... > About This Mac > More Info... > Network > AirPort

Let us know that it lists an AirPort card, and we'll go from there.

C

Reaction score
I went into

About This Mac > More Info > Network > AirPort
and see with numbers to the right of each of these
Software Versions:
Menu Extra
config plug in
System Profiler
Network Preference
Airport utility
IO80211 Family

I also tried

System Preferences > Network >Location(Automatic)
and it lists AirPort but in red with "Cable Unplugged"

Reaction score
Ok turns out these models need ethernet cables to work. Brought one and finally got it connected to internet
But now theres a third problem D:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That clears some things up. If that is all that is listed in  > System Preferences... > About This Mac > More Info... > Network > AirPort, and there isn't anything under Interfaces: Card Type:, then there isn't an AirPort card installed.

Glad that it is working wth the Ethernet cable however. Thanks for the update.

C

Ask a Question