New iMac, can't connect to HP printer....

Reaction score
Recently updated to a new iMac (latest MacOS) and I cannot get it to see my HP printer (LaserJet 200 Color MFP276nw). I had the same problem the last time I got a new iMac and can't figure out how to get it to work again. All other devices on the network print to it just fine.

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get the new iMac to see the printer. Won't connect even when I put in the IP address manually.

The HP, "support," site is useless. Hoping someone here might be able to shed some light.

I am connected via a wire to the network and the printer is also connected via a wire as well as wireless--other devices on the network are printing wireless to it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
First, when you say "a new iMac (latest MacOS)", that entails 2 things. So, please clarify the following:

1. What exact model of iMac do you have? If it is "new", then it would be a 2015 model.

2. What exact version of the Mac OS are you using? If it is Yosemite, then it needs to be 10.10.5. If it's El Capitan, then it needs to be 10.11.1.

Secondly, do you have the latest HP Print Drivers on your machine? If HP does not have any for either OS 10.10.5 or OS 10.11.1, then the ones included in the Mac OS should work.

Third, when I recently did a clean installation of OS 10.11.1 on my Mac Mini (had OS 10.10.5), I had to "re-activate" my Canon Printer. You might want to go to System Preferences and click on "Printers and Scanners" to see if your HP printer is "there" and/or "active".

Reaction score
First, when you say "a new iMac (latest MacOS)", that entails 2 things. So, please clarify the following:

1. What exact model of iMac do you have? If it is "new", then it would be a 2015 model.

2. What exact version of the Mac OS are you using? If it is Yosemite, then it needs to be 10.10.5. If it's El Capitan, then it needs to be 10.11.1.

Secondly, do you have the latest HP Print Drivers on your machine? If HP does not have any for either OS 10.10.5 or OS 10.11.1, then the ones included in the Mac OS should work.

Third, when I recently did a clean installation of OS 10.11.1 on my Mac Mini (had OS 10.10.5), I had to "re-activate" my Canon Printer. You might want to go to System Preferences and click on "Printers and Scanners" to see if your HP printer is "there" and/or "active".
Thanks.

I have iMac 5k Late 2014 (which is the same as the 2015 model from what I can tell) but with the upgraded processor (4GHz i7).

And I'm using El Capitan 10.11.1.

I've got the latest software from HP--downloaded from their site. Just won't see the printer.

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that. When you say "won't see the printer", is that the case when you go to System Preferences, and select "Printers & Scanners"? If it still can't be "seen" by the OS, not sure what it could be.

Have you tried connecting the printer to another port on the iMac? Also, have you been making frequent backups? If you have, then maybe a clean installation of OS 10.11.1 might solve the issue.

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that. When you say "won't see the printer", is that the case when you go to System Preferences, and select "Printers & Scanners"? If it still can't be "seen" by the OS, not sure what it could be.

Have you tried connecting the printer to another port on the iMac? Also, have you been making frequent backups? If you have, then maybe a clean installation of OS 10.11.1 might solve the issue.
I can't see it whether it's in the Printers & Scanners or in the HP Setup Utility.

It's connected via the network, not directly-connected.

It is a clean install. Brand new machine.

I know, annoying as hell...

Ask a Question