Canon A3 bubblejet printer i6500 - installation !

Reaction score
Hi Ric, sorry for the dealay in replying (earning a living called!). My imac came with OSX10.4.1Tiger installed, and I have since installed OS9 classic from the CD and downloaded upgrade to 10.4.3 form the dashboard. I have had no trouble accessing utilities (once getting used to navigating my way round Tiger better- coming from a G3 OS8.6), and have followed Canon's PrintHead Alignment instructions scrupulously. The first print-out patterns were a disaster area, particularly on right-hand columns C and worse on F (which was a scattering of bars and very pale cyan pink tints and a light smudge of yellow on one bar. - lots of empty areas in the column). Then 'error 312' interupted testprinting, and it took several days of uninstalling and re-installing printer driver from canon's website to sort. (Canon recommended installing Stuffit Expander, but like Sheepish, I couldnt locate the installation, so trashed Stuffit and reinstalled again.) To cut a long story as short as possible, after many corrections and adjustments, + and - of pattern sheets and testprinting, I have accidently discovered that it's able to print well at a page set-up of just 50% reduction size, Some really good precise colour printing from photographs, and also from the web. However, at 60% some minor irregularities appear; at 70% some streaking, and progresively worse up to 100% war zone of a print. So the puzzle is why i6500 prints well at 50% reduction, but craps at full size?!!
Patterns on columns Cand H are still not perfect, and half the black horizintal bars on G and one bar on H are badly staggered. Determined not to give up.................

Reaction score
Hi Ric, sorry for the dealay in replying (earning a living called!). My imac came with OSX10.4.1Tiger installed, and I have since installed OS9 classic from the CD and downloaded upgrade to 10.4.3 form the dashboard. I have had no trouble accessing utilities (once getting used to navigating my way round Tiger better- coming from a G3 OS8.6), and have followed Canon's PrintHead Alignment instructions scrupulously. The first print-out patterns were a disaster area, particularly on right-hand columns C and worse on F (which was a scattering of bars and very pale cyan pink tints and a light smudge of yellow on one bar. - lots of empty areas in the column). Then 'error 312' interupted testprinting, and it took several days of uninstalling and re-installing printer driver from canon's website to sort. (Canon recommended installing Stuffit Expander, but like Sheepish, I couldnt locate the installation, so trashed Stuffit and reinstalled again.) To cut a long story as short as possible, after many corrections and adjustments, + and - of pattern sheets and testprinting, I have accidently discovered that it's able to print well at a page set-up of just 50% reduction size, Some really good precise colour printing from photographs, and also from the web. However, at 60% some minor irregularities appear; at 70% some streaking, and progresively worse up to 100% war zone of a print. So the puzzle is why i6500 prints well at 50% reduction, but craps at full size?!!
Patterns on columns Cand H are still not perfect, and half the black horizintal bars on G and one bar on H are badly staggered. Determined not to give up................. :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

seems strange that it is dodgy printing at 'normal' size. How old is your printer ? Has it seen better days...

...not sure if sheepish has experienced similar problems ?

Is the printer quite old, had any knocks does it work normally on another machine, are you able to test it else where ?

It does sound as though you may have two different issues, print head alignment and possibly still a corrupt driver ?

Hopefully sheepish can shed some light on it.

I'd be interested to see what happened if you plugged it into a different machine at least you could rule out a hardware problem if it worked okay...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all I also hav a Cano i6500 amnd a Canon iP4000 and to date I have had no probl;ems whatever even doing some serious A3 photo printing. I do however access the printer drivers through Adobe Illustrator print command.

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Teapot and welcome !

Sometimes it just works !

Nice to know someone has got it working !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi- it's a brand new i6500 (Oct 05), and there are similar misaligning problems using it with another computer. A Canon technician is visiting on 7th Dec to repair or replace the printhead, and check the printer driver, so I will update then.
Teapot, do you use your 16500 on OSX 10.4.1 ?
I still have a query about compatibility
Regards, mart

Reaction score
Hi Mart
My i6500 was bought towards the end of last year. I have used it, troubke free on OS 10.3x through to OS 10.4.3. I'm not really sure if I used it regularly with 10.1 installed as I now only use it for A3 Printing. I did however print some A3 picture posters the weekend before last, they appeared to be fine. That must have been 10.4.3. Let me know what the techs have to say as I have become a Canon convert, allmy previous printers were Epson.
I hope this is of some use to you
Regards
Teapot

Reaction score
Hi teapot - very reassuring to hear. I am also keen on Canon, and my work place has been using i6500 very successfully with OS9. Previously I had an Epson 1520 Colour Stylus linked to my G3, but I did not find it particularly reliable printing at A3.
Regards,
Mart

Ask a Question