iphoto downloads 2 of every photo from my canon 60D camera

Reaction score
Please help. When I download photos from my camera SD card iphoto duplicates each photo. This doesn't happen when I download photos onto other computers and it doesn't happen when I upload photos from my iphone. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Reaction score
Are you sure your Camera is not taking 2 photos? some modern cameras shoot both a RAW version and a JPG version.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If you don't delete previously imported photos from your camera you might like to use Image Capture in Apps folder to select which photos to import.

I haven't used iPhoto for a long time but isn't there an option in the import window to select which pictures to import?

Disregard this advice if it's not relevant

Reaction score
iPhoto now knows what photos have been imported and breaks them into 2 sections. If it's getting 2 photos from the Canon 60D I'd say it shooting RAW and JPG, I've seen this before.

Reaction score
Are you sure your Camera is not taking 2 photos? some modern cameras shoot both a RAW version and a JPG version.
sounds logical. Any ideas how I can stop it doing this. It is strange because it wasn't doing this previously and doesn't do it when I put photos on my mums windows laptop. Very frustrating because instead having to edit and delete around 500 photos I now have 1000 to go through...

Reaction score
It's a setting on your Camera menu, not Mac related, the reason it doesn't do it on the PC is that software can't read RAW.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you need the RAW version?

You might need to select & download the RAW files on their own using Image Capture (in your app folder) to a pre-defined folder on your Mac's HD then have them deleted from your camera before then reconnecting the camera and download the jpg version into iPhoto.

FYI I don't think iPhoto gives you access the the RAW files once imported but instead converts copies of them them to jpg for viewing in the library and storing the RAW files in a hidden folder.

Reaction score
iPhoto has done RAW for some time now, that's all I shoot in.
Ok, so all you are saying makes a lot of sense and I found in the menu of my camera that it is taking them as a RAW file and jpg. I am really exposing my ignorance now but from what you are saying it sounds like there are advantages to RAW - if you have the time could you explain what is the benefit of having both files?

Ask a Question