Can only read hard drives, can't write

Reaction score
I've been having a problem using external hard drives on my MacBook. About half the time I can only read and can't write to them, even if I formatted the drives myself. The same drives work fine on my desktop iMac.

If I right-click on the drive and click 'Get Info' the pop up window says under disk permissions that 'you can only read' but in the table beneath it for all logins, including 'tcm (me)' the one I'm logged in as, it says 'read and write' and the 'ignore ownership on this volume' box is ticked and greyed out.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix the disk permissions so I can read and write on these drives or what might be causing the problem? It doesn't seem to matter if the drives are formated Fat32 or Mac OS and some drives work and some don't.

I'm running OS 10.5.2 and don't have the necessary 7GB left on my laptop to update it. Could this be the problem? I'm hoping it's not.

Much appreciated,

James.

Ask a Question