Bypassing laptop security to install Skype

Reaction score
On my company laptop, which is a MacBook Pro I have administration right and can install any software that I want.

The only software that is disallowed and cannot be installed is Skype.

I asked the IT support to allow me to install Skype on my laptop but couldn't convinced them.

Now I'm looking for a workaround to install Skype on my MacBook.

One way I can think of is installing a Virtual machine on my laptop and trying to install Skype on that Virtual machine.

But I know that a Virtual machine takes too much of my laptops's RAM and this might slow down my machine.

Is there any other way to bypass the security mechanism on my laptop and install Skype on it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like they are using some form of Mobile Device Management (MDM). If they don't allow Skype to be installed, then finding a workaround would probably be a violation of company policy and possibly lead to being fired.

MDMs don't have any workarounds, as that is why they are put in place - to protect the company's technology, security policies, and prevent loss of private data.

Unfortunately, we do not condone or support tampering with corporate/education organization policies.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

C

Ask a Question