Wattage levels for powering 2011 Laptop question

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry a bit of a simplistic question but I am asking simply to answer my curiosity! I have two cables in the house which finally died within a few weeks of each other. I have a 2011 13" model and I checked the Apple website for the correct power supply. It says I need a 60 watt power cable, however I realised on checking that I had been using both a 60 watt and an 85 watt supply before interchangeably. There didn't seem to be any issues but I wanted to check if the watt level of the supply could cause any problems?

Thanks in advance!

I used this site:

And this is my model:

60W MagSafe power adapter with "L" style connector

• 13-inch MacBook Pro models introduced between 2010 and 2012
  • MacBook models introduced between late 2009 and 2010

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You can use a higher wattage (85W) power adapter with a (60W) Mac, but a (45W) unit will not work. It won't cause any issues. Just make sure the connection is the correct one, as the MagSafe 2 connection will not work with the old L-shape MagSafe connector.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

You can use a higher wattage (85W) power adapter with a (60W) Mac, but a (45W) unit will not work. It won't cause any issues. Just make sure the connection is the correct one, as the MagSafe 2 connection will not work with the old L-shape MagSafe connector.

Hope that helps.

C

Great thanks very much for clarifying Cory, much appreciated!

Ask a Question