Business setup (user/admin) & security

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a small-business owner (5 people). We had someone click on a phishing link on our (Windows) machines, and it started spamming all of our of contacts.
(This on Windows machines which were running as non-admin users, and already had heavy-handed anti-virus & anti-phishing software).
As no further trace of the malware could be found, we are uncertain whether it is gone or hiding (e.g. rootkit).
I've decided to throw out the SSD's and get new ones and install Linux Mint on those.

I've also gotten a Mac Mini, in order to get everyone accustomed to working with MacOS, and have more modern/stable/supported options rather than only Linux. (I have about 1 year of experience using a Macbook Air privately).
If everyone likes it, perhaps the next time we replace hardware then we can just get Macs.

Our computers are not allocated to 1 person, we all share them in function of where we are at the time of day.
(Our work is mostly browser based, with the rest being basic document generation which can be done in MS Office or similar suites).
I also got a Magic Keyboard with the finger print reader, to make logins quicker. (I read that Mac supports maximum 5 fingerprints, which would be fine).

What are the best practices for such an environment?
I already applied for the Apple Business Manager system and started to set up the Mini with a business account, but ran into problems.
(there are 2 local machine accounts, an admin and a regular, but they also need (do they though?) an Apple ID account, and the software in the App store doesn't want to update for the regular user.)
I thought being part of ABM might make it easier if we want to (at some unknown point in the future) configure Macbooks for mobile use, but perhaps it's rather overdoing things at this scale and is overall inconvenient for the limited number of users.

- I'll reset the Mini and start the install again. I'll create a local (non Apple Business Manager) admin user, and then an ordinary user, both with passwords?
What are the limits of an ordinary user?
Should both have Apple ID? Separate or the same ID?

- Given that there also exists (not much, but still) malware for MacOS, are there recommended (commercial) anti-malware software?
I see that BitDefender is recommended in some tests on MacOS.

- Are there other good practices, to avoid people causing security problems or screwing up the OS?

Ask a Question