Setup Suggestions for Macbook Pro/Desktop PC Dual Monitor Sharing

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a specific setup that I was looking to achieve, but it seems harder than i thought given the hardware I have. Just looking for any suggestions anyone might have on how to make it work. So here's the devices involved in the setup.

1. 2018 Macbook Pro 15 Inch w/ Touch Bar and 3 available USB-C ports
  2. A Desktop PC with an HDMI port and a DisplayPort
  3. 2 x 1080p monitors, each with one HDMI port and one DisplayPort
So i'm looking to be able to hook the macbook up to the monitors for display extension, as well as hook my desktop PC to the monitors. However, i'd like to be able to get a Thunderbolt 4 dock as well (one that's compatible with M1 chipset preferably for future upgrades) to only need one cable to hook up to the macbook to ultimately send video to the displays and get power.

Trying to find the right dock and cables is turning out to be a pain. I'm hearing that some cables need to be active while others don't. A lot of docks don't seem to support the M1 macbook pros, docks need DP Alt mode to be able to support some cables, etc.

There just seems to be too many variables for the specific setup i'm aiming for an it's frustrating. Can anybody provide any suggestions on docks and cables that may be able to fit the setup i'm looking for?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Back in the day, you would need some form of KVM switch, which allows you to control multiple computers with one or more sets of keyboards/mice/displays. KVM switches have changed quite a bit since I used them and I haven't kept up with what is available these days. It may be easier to use a VNC or remote connection for the PC if the Mac is your main computer. I control a combination of 6 Mac and PC computers using Apple Remote Desktop and Jump Desktop in my home.

I believe the MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) does support dual external displays per Apple's website - MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) - Technical Specifications

Video Support​

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:
  • Up to two displays with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to four displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
  • Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)
Use one or more external displays with your Mac

So, it looks like you would need two adapters per the above article - possibly USB-C to HDMI?

Hope that helps a bit,

C

Ask a Question