Weird problem with web-based business service on some but not all office Macs

Reaction score
I have a subtly unique and weird problem with a crucial web-based service not working correctly on three Macs, while performing fine on two other Macs and on PCs.
Before I wipe and start fresh on the 3 Macs, I hope someone might have another idea.

The problem:
We use a big web app service to run our business. Pretty sure the problem is not with the service, as our support there says no one else has this issue, and we only have it on 3 Macs, out of a dozen computers overall.
The problem is an apparently small one, but crippling:
When my boss is logged into her Macs (Apple ID and Mac User accounts) and into her account on the web service, she gets a “data is downloading from the server” message that never goes away, and that prevents access to many crucial functions.
The same issue occurs on her office iMac, home iMac, and MacBook Air.
All the Macs are relatively old (2011) and running either Sierra or High Sierra.
Chrome is up to date. Safari is up to date. All software updates have been installed.

The weirdness:
She does not have the problem when logging into the service while at another Mac — one that she does not use otherwise, one that does not have her Mac or Apple account info and log ins, or her mail. It is also a 2011 iMac running Sierra.
She does not have the problem when accessing the service from a PC.
No other staff member has had the problem.
I don’t have the problem, and I also work from an old iMac running Sierra.

On her Macs, I have tried:
Accessing the site from Chrome and Safari; using incognito windows; deleting cookies and cache.
No effect.
Creating a new User ID on the first problem Mac, not logging into any Mac or iCloud accounts, opening a new Safari window with nothing else running… Same problem.

So the issue does not seem to reside in her accounts — but it may have arisen from them, as it is the common denominator, as it’s only on her Macs that she has this problem, Macs on which she has logged into her iCloud account, Google account, and accessed email.
So it could be a virus or something like that from any of those sources.
But AVG Virus checker found nothing.

Any other ideas of what I could check — apart from wiping the computers and starting fresh?
Maybe some Preference plist file or something else that could be corrupt?
Thanks!
- Paul

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Can you give us a little more information on the "big web app service"? Is there a VPN involved, what type of data is syncing, access is via a browser - correct, etc.?

It does sound like there is an issue isolated to her Macs, since it doesn't affect other computers/devices.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Can you give us a little more information on the "big web app service"? Is there a VPN involved, what type of data is syncing, access is via a browser - correct, etc.?

It does sound like there is an issue isolated to her Macs, since it doesn't affect other computers/devices.

C
I don't want to name the web-based app as I believe there is no issue with the app itself -- it runs fine on identically configured Macs as well as on PCs. It's a property management program.
No VPN is in use.
Thanks,
Paul

Ask a Question