Bluetooth Connectivity Problem with Pedal Page Turner (AirTurn Duo BT-106) and Mac Pro 3,1

Reaction score
Dear Mac Experts, I have the following Problem:

I have purchased a pedal device (AirTurn Duo BT-106) to change pages; it should function as a right-arrow, left-arrow, page-up or page-down ‘keyboard’. It is useful primarily for musicians who then use their hands to play their instrument and have then the freedom to operate their computer with their feet while simultaneously playing their instrument. For more information on this device i have provided a link below. Regretfully I have yet to get the device to work with my Mac Pro 3,1. I have attempted to make this Bluetooth connection with OS 10.9.5 and now also with OS 10.11.3. The problems and attempted solutions are listed below.

• When i click on ‘pair’ the device provides me with the following message:
    • “to pair this keyboard, enter the following numbers on the keyboard, and then press the Return key. 3 2 6 5 3 5 return”
    • I can’t react to the message when it appears though because it only appears for a split second. After the message disappears, the Bluetooth settings say: “Passkey entered did not match”. After many attempts i managed to get a screen shot which is included in this message. I know my bluetooth on my mac pro works just fine because i’ve got it connected to about 3 devices at the moment. (yes, i did try un-pairing all the deceives and just pairing the AirTurn Duo, but the same thing kept on happening.) I have gone through this connection-attempt with both 10.9.5 and 10.11.3
  • I have systematically gone through ALL of the suggested problem solving steps provided in the manual (the pdf link is also below) as well as the suggested alternate connection resolution steps offered in the extremely extensive email exchange i have had with the support representative.
    • one such suggested solution has been to use a ‘specific passcode’. This seems not to be available. ie. when i click on advanced settings I get the options listed immediately here below. I have extensively looked for other advanced settings and found none. I have also had a ‘mac developer’ try and install some kind of bluetooth detection software, also to no avail:
      • “Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no keyboard is detected”
      • “Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no mouse or trackpad is detected”
      • “Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer”
    • I have also performed a “PRAM” reset and a “SMC reset”. Neither of which change anything.
  • I have also disconnected all of my USB devices, then reconnected a usb mouse (without which it would be impossible to click on ‘pair’) and tried to pair the AirTurn again. This also resulted in the above listed split-second message “to pair this keyboard....”
  • I know the device works because i have successfully connected it to my ipad2 as well as a friends macbook pro laptop. My only conclusion is that the device is NOT compatible with a Mac Pro (the desktop computer). This though is refuted by the AirTurn representative.
  • Any ideas? I’d really like to get this device to work with my computer.
    • I have alerted the AirTurn Representative to this forum post.

http://www.airturn.com/bluetooth-pedals/duo
http://www.airturn.com/BT-106Manual.pdf

Attachments

• air turn duo paring 1.png
    air turn duo paring 1.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 581
  • air turn duo paring 2.png
    air turn duo paring 2.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 485

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Seems you have done most of the troubleshooting we would suggest. I did notice one thing pages 7-8 in the manual: "Note: Reset pairing for both devices each time you change to a new host device such as using the BT-106 with your desktop computer and then with your iPad. Also reset both the host and BT-106 if the pairing is dropped by the host." It also mentions a code on page 7: "If your host computer requests a code, use 0000."

-Is you Mac Pro's keyboard wireless or wired. If wireless, have you tried a USB keyboard along with the USB mouse?
-Even though you can't type in the 6-digit pairing code, does it still show in the list of Bluetooth devices after that, possibly with an Options button if you double-click it in the list where you could enter the 0000 code?
-Did you unpair/forget the device from the iPad 2 and your friend's MacBook Pro before trying to pair it with you Mac Pro?

Just some thoughts,

C

Reaction score
Cory, thank you for your reply and your time,

• yes, i forgot to mention that i have tried the ‘reset pairing’ several times. Also to no avail.
  • un-pair from my ipad2: great idea! hadn’t thought of it. Doesn’t do anything though in regards to my mac pro :(
  • I use both bluetooth and usb keyboards (bluetooth on the floor as a temporary replacement for the Pedal that I’ve bought).
    • yes, i’ve tried going down to JUST a USB mouse and USB keyboard and also JUST a usb mouse. Also to no avail. arg!
  • Option buttons for the 0000 code: I haven’t found any. I’ve looked..if i click on ‘advanced’ i get the options listed below. The AirTurn Rep also suggested that i look for the 0000 option..but i really don’t see it anywhere. I am though NOT a computer wizard and it is possible that i’ve overlooked something..i’ve included a screenshot of what my computer has listed under advanced..
    • “Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no keyboard is detected”
    • “Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no mouse or trackpad is detected”
    • “Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer”

General question to you and anyone else:

is it likely/probable that this device is just not compatible with the Mac Pro? The AirTurn Representative says that it is..but i’m starting to doubt this. I regretfully don’t know anyone who HAS a mac pro, just macbookpros and iMacs etc.. so I can’t confirm/negate this hypothesis.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 13.59.32.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 13.59.32.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 480

Ask a Question