New imac bluetooth lack of connectivity

Reaction score
I bought a new 27" imac and when I transferred the data from my old imac it stopped the bluetooth connectivity working on the new imac.

Spent decades on apple tech support who suggested that a corrupt file was causing this.

Only problem is that one cannot locate a corrupt file.

mac support said I should, delete the hard drive, reinstall the el capitan OS and then manually transfer the basics to my new imac. I did this and the bluetooth connectivity was not working again, and this was after transferring word docs, photos and a few other things.

the last time I did this process, all I took over was the word docs and the photos and again this immediately cut the bluetooth connectivity.

Even if I leave all my old files on a hard drive, there will come a day when I need to access them on the new computer and again it might cut my bluetooth connectivity again. This is a bit of a nightmare. I would welcome any suggestions.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which versions of OS X on the old iMac?
-How did you transfer your data - Migration Assistant and/or manually dragging?
-How did you connect the old iMac to the new iMac?
-Do you have an external hard drive that you could use to transfer the old files?
-When you erased and installed OS X on the new iMac, did Bluetooth work before you transferred the data again?

If you manually transfer files from one Mac to another, without anything from the System, it shouldn't affect Bluetooth, so this is a bit of a stumper.

C

Reaction score
Sounds like you are an expert. That is good !
Old mac is 10.8.5 Mountain Lion.
Apple suggested I transfer the data manually, which I did.
I transferred the data to the new mac from an external Hard Drive that had been backed up from the old mac.
Bluetooth works perfectly on the new imac, (2 of them, soon to be a third one that apple is sending me next week). As soon as I transfer any data, and this is just word docs and photos, etc, no system files, not even any programs, the bluetooth connectivity cuts out.
It has happened to two different imacs so it cannot be possible they would send me two faulty computers.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
This is very strange indeed...I have never come across this type of an issue.

-What happens if you don't transfer the documents and access them directly from the external hard drive?
-Are you using Apple bluetooth keyboard/mouse, or third-party devices?
-How was the data backed up to the external - manually or with Time Machine?
-You are not using Migration Assistant, correct?
-Could there be any type of Bluetooth interference nearby - i.e. iPads, iPhones, other devices with Bluetooth enabled?

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference

I am at a loss here, but we'll keep at it.

C

Ask a Question