Bluetooth 4 mouse & MacBook Air M1

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with Bluetooth 4 devices on an M1 Mac?
I have:
MacBook Air M1
macOS 11.2.2
Logitech MX Anywhere S2 mouse (which uses Bluetooth 4)

The computer sees the S2, but cannot sustain a connection. It oscillates between Connected and Not Connected with a frequency of at least once per second. After 15 seconds or so it reverts to a spinning pinwheel, and then after another 15 seconds it settles down to "Connect".

I have tried all three bands for the S2.
The S2 works with older Macs and Windows PCs.
Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse and Logitech Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse (both Bluetooth 3.x) work with the computer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an M1 Mac mini as well, but I only have an Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, Apple Magic Mouse 2 and Apple Magic Trackpad 2, which all work flawlessly.

-Are you using the Logitech Options software, version 8.36.76?
-Does it connect with the mini's built-in Bluetooth?

It may be best to contact Logitech Support directly.

C

Reaction score
I have the Logitech Options software installed, and it works well with the Logitech UltraThin Touch Mouse.
BUT It does not 'see' the S2, and when I choose "Add Device" it sends me to the Mac Bluetooth Preferences panel, which where I started (and where the connection problem shows itself).

I contacted Logitech, and after a bit of back and forth they said to try Apple support. I have reported the problem with Feedback Assistant (for macOS + Bluetooth). No response, of course.

Logitech told me that the two Logitech devices that were working for me were using Bluetooth 3 while the S2 was Bluetooth 4.

Later today I'll see if any of my Bluetooth audio devices work with the M1 MacBook Air (not mini)...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Strange Logitech would give up and refer you to Apple, since it is their product that is having the issue, and other devices of theirs are working. The Feedback Assistant application is only available for Apple Developer accounts using an Apple ID that is enrolled in a current Apple Software Customer Seeding Program, AppleSeed for IT, or Apple Beta Software Program. Are you running a beta version of macOS? If so, that may be contributing to the Bluetooth issue.

C

Reaction score
Yes, I thought/think that the ball was in Logitech's court too. No, access to Feedback Assistant was left over from pre-M1 betas, but since this Bluetooth problem was new for Macs, I thought it might not have popped up on their radar.

I see that macOS is updating from 11.2.2 to 11.2.3 today, so maybe that will help.

Of course, I don't really *need* the S2 mouse... :) But the unending, constantly changing parade of bugs... well, bugs me. I used to think that the sudden appearance of new bugs after an apparently unrelated change in code was a result of my amateurish programming skills and understanding. But, nope, it looks like the pros have similar problems. [Shouldn't perfecting a programming language over a period of time, especially these "object oriented" ones, make it less likely for out-of-the-blue bugs to occur???] Sigh.

Ask a Question