blue /turquoise screen at start up

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased an old g3 running on 0s 9 a little while ago. All was fine untill i tried to update to os x which caused major problems, now I think that I am just getting in deeper!
The mac starts up, goes to the 'welcome to os 9 screen and then flips to a blank turquoise/blue screen, no pointer. The mac will not load its cds even with the c keyheld down

any suggestions........

thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Which exact model of G3 is the Mac...iMac, beige tower/desktop, Blue & White tower, etc.?

That sounds like a problem I have encountered before. The G3 is trying to startup and ends up hanging at the blue startup screen for OS X.

Some things to try:

Zap PRAM: Startup and immediately hold Option-Command-P-R keys suimulatneously until you hear the second startup chime.

Force OS X startup: Hold the X key during startup.

Replace the PRAM Battery: Depending on the model, it's fairly simple and about $10-15 US.

C

Reaction score
many thanks ,
I will try this, I have tired zapping the pram, but I think the battery is probably not helping, the model by the way is an imac 450 with 256 ram, made I guess around 2000 so the battery is probably exhausted!

caedmon

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If it's an iMac from that generation...Summer 2000...it could also be...

iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9

"Firmware Update 4.1.9 includes improvements to starting up Mac OS X from the local hard disk, Firewire target disk mode, starting up from the local hard disk, network startup, and system stability. This update also adds support for additional security options which allow the Open Firmware to be password protected."

Reaction score
thanks again, I dont think osx was properly installed as I aborted the installation after discovering that the imacs os was os 9.0. The imac never really recovered from the attempted update, I had tried to do the firmware update and update to os 9.1 neither of which loaded on sucessfully,to my knowledge.
I have tried to run the system disks, firstly the mac froze halfway through the disk repair, and now it sounds as though the drive is going to read them, when I hold down the c key, but at the last minute it flips to a blank turquoise screen,no pointer
I really would like to get this little fella running again as it is my first mac !
It actually worked fine on os 9. When surfing on narrowband using the icab browser, I was really impressed! But broadband came and I signed up for a wanadoo livebox which, although the trusty salesperson said would work on os 9, it actually required osx....... and there the fun started!
Many thanks for your help again,
caedmon

Reaction score
Try again with the system disc, but keep the c key depressed for quite a while, as it sounds like you are taking your finger off too early.

It does take quite a few seconds, and when you hear it reading the disc, keep that finger on the c key until it begins to load from disc.

Reaction score
Thanks Kyomii, I have tried this ......no success! screen is grey this morning so I am still guessing that my first problem is the battery. Is it difficult to get the case off? I had tried before but was concerned about cracking the plastic as it seemed rather tight........

many thanks again,

caedmon

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

here is a visual guide to cracking open the case.

If you are going to crack it open, please be careful, the CRT can kill !

Take the PRAM battery out for 15 minutes, then replace it, rebuild and try booting from the CD again, as Kyomii says, keep the c key held down until you see the Mac boot screen.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,
the visual guide was very usefull. I have replaced the battery, with no success, still the same symptoms at start up! any more ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Well, I was working on a friend's iMac from just after yours was made. It was experiencing random freezes. I tried known good RAM, HD, replaced the PRAM battery, AC cable, booted from external FW HD and CD/DVD drive, mouse, keyboard, etc. Nothing worked. Basically, it's either the logic board or power board of which I don't have good ones to try.

You iMac may be in the same boat now. Will let you know if I think of other things to try.

C

Reaction score
Thanks again, I'm wondering if the battery is receiving it's charge?
will keep trying........

Ask a Question