Black screen at startup that eventually gives in and boots with force

Reaction score
Hi,
My Imac 27 inch mid 2011 has acted really weird the past week.
It began with the computer booting to a dead black screen. After restarting with different key commands (opt, cmd+r) and forcequitting it it eventually started and everything was back to normal. At this point I backed everything up and decided to wipe the computer and update it to El Capitain (I made the conclusion it must be a hard-drive problem). Having the same problems again I eventually managed to boot it after some 9 tries and installed El Capitain on it from a USB. Now when I restarted it today freshly updated and everything, same problem.
It's not a specific key commands that gets the computer booted, some times it goes on with Opt and another time with cmd+R, one time it booted with no key-command at all.
My Anti virus haven't noticed anything, Disk utility doesn't notice anything strange when scanning...
The weird part is that it always eventually gives in and boots after trying for a while, as some component inside the computer needs to be warm in order for the computer to boot or something. Once it boots everything runs smoothy so I can't see how it would be a HDD problem. I'm no expert so here I am, :)

Anyone got an idea what the problem could be and what I can do?

Thanks!

Ask a Question