Screen Goes Black on Startup!

Reaction score
Hello,

Im currently traveling around europe and ive run into a problem with my macbook, which is severely hampering my traveling. I have the basic cheapest macbook bought in september of 2009 (I think that would be a 5.2). I've encountered a problem with the screen. The problem started when I would open my macbook from closed sleep mode and the screen would appear for about 2 seconds, then disappear. It looked as if I could barely makeout some of the things on the screen leading me to believe that it would automatically go to the mode in which the brightness is turned all the way down to the essentially black screen. I then was able to manually restart it each time and it would run as normal until I closed it and it went to sleep and the problem would return. Now, a day later, even when I try to restart it the screen will flash some light for less than a second and it'll return to a black screen. However, the computer sounds as if it's running normally and the light indicating it's powered on remains on. I'm thinking this has something to do with the display. Is this a common or at least fixable problem? How much and what will it take to both diagnose and fix this. I'm an unemployed college grad so buying a new macbook would be a real bummer. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
henry

Reaction score
Backlight problems can be a real pain, get it to an Apple server Centre near you.

Ask a Question