iMac G5 Screen goes black, fans spin up, can't wake it up.

Reaction score
That's about as descriptive as I can be.

For the longest time, nothing really happened on it, a user brought it in to me and said it would do this, but for a week nothing happened.

Then I came back from the weekend and the screen was black and the fans were in "hurricane mode" as I've seen some people describe it.

Mouse movement won't wake it up, keyboard won't wake it up. I could power it down by holding down the power mode, but I might not get it into this state for another week or so.

Any help you can provide would be wonderful!

Thanks,
Kyle

Reaction score
Hi Kyle,

I had an iMac G5 with exactly the same problem. I took it in to an Apple service centre and they said that it was a logic board issue. You may want to take a look and see if it qualifies for replacement under an extended replacement program specifically for G5 logic boards. On the plus side, everything else seems to work fine, so I just set the energy saver settings to make it never sleep.

Reaction score
My only concern with that is that it doesn't happen every time it goes to sleep, and I don't even know if it happens when it DOES go to sleep, it might just happen randomly.

I put it to sleep and woke it up about 20 times just to try that out and that didn't cause the super-sleep mode.

Reaction score
Same with me. It never actually did that when I was using it, only when my girlfriend was. Moral of the story: Macs are jealous creatures?

Reaction score
Have you checked the Apple Support section to see what they say about those sleep problems? I have not experienced that on my laptop, but I've seen this problem reported in other forums.

Ask a Question