Applications close when I try to attach. Please Help.

Reaction score
Hi.
Everytime I try to upload and attach a file (e.g. in Mac Mail, in internet mail like Yahoo or Fastmail, Flickr etc.) first there comes this little waiting sign for a while, and then the "application quits unexpectedly", e.g. Mac Mail, Safari, etc.
It's a Mac iBook G4.

Everything else, except "spotlight" runs smoothly. Spotlight seems to not find files anymore. Any files. Or applications. But I can open applications and files in Finder normally, and also I can open files with word, preview, itunes etc.

I messed around with the MAC/Desktop/Start up disc a while ago (and I know I shouldn't have), I copied and pasted around because I wanted to clean up a little and messed up the account settings, but this problem is solved actually by now and all looks like before I thought (and think still).

I checked that I do have read and write permissions on every file, and it doesn't matter if it's a .jpeg, a .doc, a .pdf or whatever else, or if I have one application running, or ten. This problem is since several weeks now.
It makes me crazy. Does anyone have an idea what happend, and what I can do? I'll send imaginery chocolate cookies as a Thank-you to anyone who tries to help:)

Thanks so much.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

It would probably be easiest to do an Archive and Install.

Back up all your important data first, just to be safe.

Then boot from the install disk and before doing the Archive and Install, run disk utilities and repair disk and permissions then do a Archive and Install.

This will get you running quicker than trying to fault find.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks so much (and here are the cookies:) )

Unfortunately, I don't have an install disk. I bought this iBook used.

It btw happens also when I start uploading files from a cd or usb-stick, so it might be the way between my files and the uploaded whatever place? It says always

Source Version: 7520000

PID: 997
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000034

Thread 0 Crashed:

in the report.

I thought it might be just an easy failure people know. But it seem like a bigger problem maybe. It's weird, because everything else works perfectly fine.
Do I have to live with it now? No one else I know has a MAC with a disk I'd need.

Thanks so much for being so friendly and trying (I tried the disk utilities thing on my computer, all of them, but nothing changed). I doubt that I can help here with anything, but I'll have a look at the other topics.
It's very useful, this forum.

Ask a Question