Apple Two-factor authentication

CKB

Reaction score
Two-factor authentication was really not thought out properly by Apple.
Although its fine in most circumstances, there was no consideration for users of Apple products that travel to countries where network coverage is minimal - off the beaten track in Africa.
I need to switch mine off. I often cannot have more than one device of communication with me and when I am asked to authenticate via a two factor I do not receive the code. Often its too late by the time I return to base and re-enter the code.
I need to know how after the two week trial period to switch it off!!!
Its driving me bonkers!!!
If I do leave the Apple community it will because of this.
I cannot even recommend Apple for this very reason
Perhaps Apple doesn't care for customers like us.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

As newer versions of iOS are released, more new features are requiring you to have Two-factor authentication for Apple ID enabled for privacy and security. Apple is one of the most end-user privacy/security-focused companies in the world.

From the Apple website link above:

Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I’ve turned it on?
If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, you can unenroll for two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require higher security.

Once the two week period is over, you cannot turn it off. If that doesn't work for you, your only recourse is to contact Apple customer support directly to discuss it, as there isn't any way around it from our perspective.

Hope that helps and good luck,

C

Reaction score
This helps sometimes but it should not be mandatory. User has the freedom to make its own choice.

Reaction score
I'm not a multi-device person. I have a mac mini on a desk. I have a laptop that isn't connected to the mac mini (entirely used for visiting websites while watching TV). I don't have a smart phone. I almost never even answer my cordless phone (it is ALWAYS telemarketers).

Two factor authentification is a pain. I have to go get my phone and listen to a message and write down the code. Then enter it.

Yeah, I know it is safer. But it doesn't seem a good enough reason to buy a smartphone.

Reaction score
What's funny to me is that every couple of weeks I have to go through standard two-factor process to continue a discussion in discussions.apple.com that I started with same iMac, same browser. The code displayed on my iMac for me to copy to my iMac. That's one step.

Then the code displays—on My Mac—For me to copy from one Mac window to another Mac window.

How does that make anything more secure?

Reaction score
I asked AOL pretty much the same thing. Why they couldn't just send the code to the email account they agreed was mine and that we were working on. "Against the rules"... And since they agreed it was "me" they were talking to (and they had remote control over my computer at the time) why they needed one at all. "rules".

I'm baffled. It's not like AOL is selling smartphones (are they?). If they were convinced I was me enough to help me try to straighten up my email account after a migration, what extra security did they need. I explained to the tech that I only had the phone I was using, and he seemed astonished at the idea. He actually suggested I borrow a neighbor's phone to receive the code... Wow!

Reaction score
I have to laugh at myself. All I needed was to activate call-waiting on my cordless phone. I did, and they could send me codes after that. I am as dumb as a snail. That allowed the AOL tech to solve my email problems.

Reaction score
Turn off what? The call-waiting? Or the remote-control? The remote control was turned off by me.

Ask a Question