An application will not show up, but is apparently running

Reaction score
After my windows laptop installed an update and killed itself, I ran over to the Mac to see if I could get steam up and going to play some games (because my other computer is dead). I updated and checked to see if it was working and everything seemed good to go. I had planned to install a game called "Dying Light" that I would run using GeForce now on the mac. The game downloaded with no problems, but when I clicked run it says "Dying Light has quit unexpectedly". I sort of expected this because it is a very hard game to run, so I said no worries, I'll download GeForce now and run it through that. I downloaded the mac version double checking to make sure it was the proper one and clicked run. It gave me the same message; "GeForce Now has quit unexpectedly". Now I was starting to feel like it wasn't the game but the computer. I went into my downloads and deleted them all (we had quite a pile up over the years) but there was one that wouldn't delete because "The App is in Use". I know for a FACT that LEGO digital designer was not used for many years, because it never worked properly so I uninstalled it after it didn't work YEARS ago. So my theory is that a part of that app never downloaded and my computer is still attempting to download it to this day but can't because theres no place to download it since the actual app is gone. This would explain why everything is quite slow, why the computer can't process much- hence why it always tells me Apps close "Unexpectedly", and also why for a split second I see a little cardboard box with yellow paper or some stuff in it that represents a download with a message saying "are you sure you want to stop…-" when I shut down the computer. This must be the computer recognizing that a download is being attempted and that the computer should not restart, but does it anyway. Does anyone know how to help or fix this?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Does it meet the GeForce NOW system requirements?
-Does it meet the Dying Light system requirements?

C
Hello thanks for the response, i fixed the problem which was that my programs were no longer compatible with the ios i was using. Not sure why it never updated itself for 7 years or why apple never told us to try and upgrade or something but after a bit of digging i found this to be the issue. For those wondering go into the app store and find new software there

Reaction score
It's usually better to be proactive and look for updates yourself. One good site for that is:

https://www.macupdate.com/

Also, sites like www.macworld.com and tidbits.com will (at times) contain posts about updates.

Finally, regarding "go into the app store and find new software there", there is quite a lot of software that is not available through the app store, so just checking the app store is not enough.

Ask a Question