Running Out Of Application Memory

Reaction score
I have an iMac 27 late 2013 3.4 GHz i5 24 GB 1600 DDR3
Yosemite 10.10.5
Lately after about 10 minutes I get the beach ball and a message saying I've run out of Application Memory
In the Activity Monitor, these items take of like a rocket eating up memory:
sharingd
identityservicesd
cloudpaird
imagent
Do I need these, and if not , how do I get rid of them?
Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
About the only one that is non-Apple is imagent. It is a process that listens for FaceTime invitations. If you are not using FaceTime, you can get rid of it. Also, I saw this:

"IMAgent is a process that listens for FaceTime invitations. It will be active even if FaceTime isn't running. You don't have to block it, but if you don't use FaceTime you can open the application, open preferences, and turn off FaceTime. That should quit the IMAgent process."

Do any of those first 3 (sharingd, identityservicesd, and cloudpaird) ask for your keychain password? They seem to have something to do with File sharing. This link describes how to disable File Sharing:

http://osxdaily.com/2014/02/11/disable-public-folder-sharing-mac-os-x/

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

They are all part of OS X, so you cannot delete/get rid of them. You can turn off their services though, to see if that helps.

sharingd - used by AirDrop, Handoff, Sharing, and Remote Disc
identityservicesd - used by Messages, App Store, Facebook, Twitter and other accounts
cloudpaird - used by iCloud
imagent - used by Messages and FaceTime

So, a few questions:
-How many applications are you running simultaneously?
-How much free space left on your startup drive?
-Are you running multiple resource-hungry apps like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc.?
-Do you have any third-party apps/utilities installed, such as MacKeeper, antivirus, Dropbox/Carbonite, or any menu bar apps?
-Do you restart your Mac on a regular basis?
-Do you have iCloud signed in and enabled? If so, are you using Keychain, Back to My Mac, Find My Mac?
-Do you use the Messages and FaceTime apps?
-Do you have you Facebook, Twitter, or other social media accounts setup in System Preferences... > Internet Accounts?
-Which sharing services are enabled in System Preferences... > Sharing - i.e. File, Printer, Internet, Bluetooth, etc.?
-Are you using any Bluetooth devices - mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.?

As always, it is best to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data before performing any troubleshooting suggestions.

You could try an SMC and NVRAM reset.

We'll see if we can determine the cause.

C

Reaction score
About the only one that is non-Apple is imagent. It is a process that listens for FaceTime invitations. If you are not using FaceTime, you can get rid of it. Also, I saw this:

"IMAgent is a process that listens for FaceTime invitations. It will be active even if FaceTime isn't running. You don't have to block it, but if you don't use FaceTime you can open the application, open preferences, and turn off FaceTime. That should quit the IMAgent process."

Do any of those first 3 (sharingd, identityservicesd, and cloudpaird) ask for your keychain password? They seem to have something to do with File sharing. This link describes how to disable File Sharing:

http://osxdaily.com/2014/02/11/disable-public-folder-sharing-mac-os-x/
Thanks for your response! To answer your questions:
I couldn't unitstall IMagent
FaceTime is turned off
I've never been asked for a keychain password
File sharing is turned off

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

They are all part of OS X, so you cannot delete/get rid of them. You can turn off their services though, to see if that helps.

sharingd - used by AirDrop, Handoff, Sharing, and Remote Disc
identityservicesd - used by Messages, App Store, Facebook, Twitter and other accounts
cloudpaird - used by iCloud
imagent - used by Messages and FaceTime

So, a few questions:
-How many applications are you running simultaneously?
-How much free space left on your startup drive?
-Are you running multiple resource-hungry apps like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc.?
-Do you have any third-party apps/utilities installed, such as MacKeeper, antivirus, Dropbox/Carbonite, or any menu bar apps?
-Do you restart your Mac on a regular basis?
-Do you have iCloud signed in and enabled? If so, are you using Keychain, Back to My Mac, Find My Mac?
-Do you use the Messages and FaceTime apps?
-Do you have you Facebook, Twitter, or other social media accounts setup in System Preferences... > Internet Accounts?
-Which sharing services are enabled in System Preferences... > Sharing - i.e. File, Printer, Internet, Bluetooth, etc.?
-Are you using any Bluetooth devices - mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.?

As always, it is best to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data before performing any troubleshooting suggestions.

You could try an SMC and NVRAM reset.

We'll see if we can determine the cause.

Thanks for your reply! To answer your questions:
On my 1TB SATA drive I have 933.9 GB free of 999.35 GB
The only apps I have are Google Earth, Garmin and Quicken WillMaker and none are used very often
I do restart my Mac
I am not signed in to iCloud
I don't use Messages or FaceTime Apps
I am registered on Facebook but never go there
The only sharing service I enabled was Printer
The mouse and keyboard are standard wireless Apple models

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

-If you are signed into Facebook in System Preferences... > Internet accounts, try signing out/deleting that account.
-Have you tried disabling printer sharing - is it needed to share your printer on your network?
-Did you try the SMC and NVRAM resets?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

-If you are signed into Facebook in System Preferences... > Internet accounts, try signing out/deleting that account.
-Have you tried disabling printer sharing - is it needed to share your printer on your network?
-Did you try the SMC and NVRAM resets?

C
I'm signed out of Facebook
I've disabled Printer Sharing
I tried SMC and NVRAM
I did try one experiment! I'm normally hard wired into the router (Airport) so I unhooked the connection to any Internet access and fired it up and watched the Activity Monitor, but the items I mentioned before still kept climbing.
Also in that mix was callservicesd.
Again, thanks for your help

Ask a Question