Airport and mesh WiFi

Reaction score
I have an Airport Extreme but noticed that reception at the far end of the house was inconsistent so I added a second Airport Extreme. Then, just to be thorough I added a third Airport Extreme in the basement rec room. It all seems to work great. Recently I've read that mesh WiFi is better than a WiFi extender. So my (ignorant) question is: Is my Airport Extreme base plus two Airport Extreme satellites essentially a mesh system? If not, is mesh worht the money to upgrade?

Reaction score
I don’t have any familiarity with AirPort devices but it seems kind of like a mesh. I recently implemented a WiFi 6 mesh and essentially your clients hook to a node they are close to but you only manage the main unit. I am assuming the node just picks up the same settings as the main unit.

Now WiFi 6 was worth it. I get the same speed wired and wireless. It’s not cheap but it works very well. Your clients have to support WiFi 6 though, but it is backwards compatible so will work, albeit not as fast as client hardware that supports WiFi 6.

Ask a Question