After upgrading to Yosemite cannot load past login screen (FREEZE w/IMG)

Reaction score
I JUST updated to Yosemite, that went fine on my 2012 iMac. However I kept getting this MLB..... type plugin notification that would not go away. Even if i press more information or "ok" it would pop back up again every 10 seconds and kept it as an active window every time. I got very annoyed and started a purge of plugins and extensions that I read online that would relate to it.

So I guess somehow in my successful purge I deleted an essential start up extension/plugin. Because I can login successfully, but then when it attempts to load my account I get a freeze on this screen.

IMG_6443.JPG

Yes I attempted to start in safe mode, it kept giving errors that start up failed to start properly

I attempted also disk repair. I repaired and verifyed disk through cmd + r and it said everything was fine. Rebooted, still got crazy start up screen

I also attempted D for a start up command, gave me an archaic verifying for hardware. Again it said nothing was wrong. I did the quick version, currently doing the more through version which takes up to 1+hrs and nothing so far.

I am asking can I put a start up disk, or some file on a USB start there and try to put back a correct set of start up files? All while trying to preserve my current files?

Thorough and general help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Natalie

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Reaction score
Hi Natalie,

Welcome to this place! "We" are going to try and help you, if we can.

First, where are you making the post from? Is it another Mac? That would be good if it is. If it is, please state which Mac model it is, as there could be another way to do this. (It would need to be running Yosemite).

Secondly, did this happen with OS 10.10, OS 10.10.1, or the recently released OS 10.10.2? That is important, as you will see below.

Third, have you been making backups? If you made one before the problem with Yosemite (again, which version?), you might be able to recover from that backup. If you use Time Machine, I cannot help you. But, if you use SuperDuper!, it makes a bootable backup, and if you have the backup made by it prior to when you upgraded, you could do a restore from it.

Fourth, if say you had the issue after upgrading from 10.10.1 to 10.10.2, there is a way you can make a bootable Yosemite (OS 10.10) USB "Flash Drive". This link explains how:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

But, to do that, you would need to 1) have the "Install OS X Yosemite" file inside the Applications folder on a functional Mac running Yosemite, and 2) have the last "good" Yosemite "file" available on that functional Mac. So if the issue arose after you upgraded from 10.10.1 to 10.10.2, you need to have that upgrade file (OS 10.10.1) available also. You'll also need to erase and format the USB Flash Drive using Disk Utility on the good Mac.

Now, assuming all that is valid, you'll need to follow the instructions from that link (on the functional Mac). The part I am unsure of is whether or not you can "place" the OS 10.10.1 upgrade file on the USB Flash Drive. I guess if when you use Disk Utility to format the flash drive, you can partition it, having one partition where you will "place" the necessary Yosemite (OS 10.10) files via the instructions, and the other where you can place the OS 10.10.1 upgrade file. Of course, that assumes the USB Flash Drive is large enough. I suspect a 32 gig one would work. When you boot your iMac via the Flash Drive, not sure if that other partition would be "seen". If it is like any hard disk/SSD "setup", and you boot, via the primary boot partition, to the desktop, that other partition would be available.

If all of that is successful, and you boot up your iMac from the Flash Drive, you can double click on the OS 10.10.1 upgrade file, select your primary (maybe one and only) partition on your iMac's hard drive (or SSD), and apply the upgrade. If that is successful, you could then try and boot your iMac from its internal drive/SSD, keeping your fingers crossed!

As I mentioned above, if you have another, good working Mac running Yosemite, there is an easier way of doing this.

Last edited:

Ask a Question