After MacCleanup "Safari cant find plugin..."

Reaction score
Picture 5.png

After using a MacCleanup program I found at the following site:

http://macpaw.com/landings/land60?campaign=adroll&utm_source=adroll&utm_medium=banner&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=media_adroll_cmm2&gclid=&siteID=&mpaid=&clickid=&iradid=&irpid=

I keep receiving notifications to say I am missing an internet plugin. The above image shows the type of message I get when I open my email.

Since this happened I cannot upload images to an advertising site I use either :-s

I have tried downloading various flashplayers and still no joy. Can anyone make any suggestions please or direct me to a link for a suitable download which may rectify this problem?

my OS is Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Claire

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

Personally never seen a good review about CleanMyMac and would recommen you uninstal ASAP, if you really wanted to use a cleaner go for ONYX.

It sounds like you have cleaned out all your caches, Universal Binaries and more.
MIME type “application/x-shockwave-flash”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type
MIME is a system of identifying file types based on their extension. It's not a file type itself.

I must ask if you were running Flip4Mac or haveboot camped?

You could try uninstalling Flash with the uninstaller have a look here
http://flash-player-uninstaller.en.softonic.com/mac
Then reinstalling from here
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

As a foot note would not recommend cleaners to a novice user, as they are powerful and can do harm if not used corectly.

Reaction score
I have uninstalled (I think/hope) I dragged to trash/ejected, whichever option I had available.

I am not sure if I was running Flip4Mac or have boot camped...must be honest Idon't even know what either of these are referring to, my knowledge on all of this is close to none :(

Do you know if there is anyway I can restore the MIME system?

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

Personally never seen a good review about CleanMyMac and would recommen you uninstal ASAP, if you really wanted to use a cleaner go for ONYX.

It sounds like you have cleaned out all your caches, Universal Binaries and more.

MIME is a system of identifying file types based on their extension. It's not a file type itself.

I must ask if you were running Flip4Mac or haveboot camped?

You could try uninstalling Flash with the uninstaller have a look here
http://flash-player-uninstaller.en.softonic.com/mac
Then reinstalling from here
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Thank-you so much, I will try this now....fingers crosed. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hi,

Do you know if there is anyway I can restore the MIME system?

You could try opening disk utility and repairing permissions.

1) Open your application folder in the dock.
2) Look for the blue utilitys folder and open it.
3) Click the disk utility.
4) Click repair permissions.
5) let it finish, when it does close all and reboot.

Reaction score
Hi,

You could try opening disk utility and repairing permissions.

1) Open your application folder in the dock.
2) Look for the blue utilitys folder and open it.
3) Click the disk utility.
4) Click repair permissions.
5) let it finish, when it does close all and reboot.

Hi there,

I did try this but not sure if I selected the correct disc when repairing permission. Would u be kind enough to look at the screenshot I have attached and letting me know what to select before clicking repair permissions?

Many thanks

Claire

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 331
Reaction score
I have repaired permissions and rebooted and am still getting the same error message.

I downlaoded and tried to run the flash uninstaller but got a message saying the application was "not supported by this architecture" (image of error emssage attached).

I'm at a complete loss. Just want my system running as normal and wish I had never done this mac cleanup...what was I thinking :(

Is there any possibility I can do some kind of system reset or something?

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 324
Reaction score
Yes if you have been running Time Machine backups, just reload Safari to a date prior to your cleaning. And all should be as was.

Reaction score
Yes if you have been running Time Machine backups, just reload Safari to a date prior to your cleaning. And all should be as was.
Thank-you I will try this. I haven't been running TimeMachine backups though as I only purchased this Mac second hand recently but will try and see if I can find out how to reload Safarai to a date prior to my disaster :) thank-you very much for all your assistance.

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

Possibly your quickest route would be to uninstall Safari then reinstall from your OS X install disk.
To save me writing a long post have a look here.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ph6439
Also you can totally reinstall OS X if you want to have a look here.( look for the sub heading erase and install)
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1544
THANK-YOU :) I have reinstalled as suggested and everything is now working as before and I am smiling again :-D Thank you so much for all your support it was a great help!
Claire

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

That is really good news, and as it is your first foray so to speak with Mac well done.
As I said feel it best not to use any type of cleaner. OS X does in house cleaning in the early AM, also I would buy a external hard drive and run regular Time Machine backups for a safe guard.
But now you have reinstalled you should have confidence, re an future blip so to speak, would put a smilie face but can't as am on iPhone at present.

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

That is really good news, and as it is your first foray so to speak with Mac well done.
As I said feel it best not to use any type of cleaner. OS X does in house cleaning in the early AM, also I would buy a external hard drive and run regular Time Machine backups for a safe guard.
But now you have reinstalled you should have confidence, re an future blip so to speak, would put a smilie face but can't as am on iPhone at present.
Aww thank-you. I'm delighted and certainly wouldn't have gotten this far without you guiding me through, can't thank you enough. I have shared your advice with family and friends re: the Time Machine backups etc. my mum is doing this as we speak/type :)
I will now get an external drive and do regular time Machine backups myself as per your suggestion.
Thanks once again and no probs. about the smiley I am smiling enough for us both right now haha

regards

Claire

Ask a Question