Admin capability lost - HIGH SIERRA - IMAC2011 - Freshly installed new SSD limited software added.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need your help please.

. I changed the username of my login on my Mac, but I didn't realize that it would also remove my admin status. Now, I don't have an admin user on my Mac, and I need to re-add one Although my SSD is new and I haven't added many files yet I can't create a reboot disk (need admin) and reinstall Sierra that easily. so any simpler method would be great.

I tried to fix this issue by running the following commands in recovery mode:
1. mount -uw /
2. rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

However, I received an error message stating that there is no such file or directory. After some research, I realized that the command is not looking at the correct drive, so I need to change the directories to my new SSD drive. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble doing so. Can someone explain to me how to change the directory and find the Appleset up db file? Please provide clear and precise steps.

My SSD drive is named SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO, but when I tried to change the directory by typing "cd SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO", it didn't recognize it. ??

I would really appreciate it if someone could provide me with clear instructions on how to find the Applesetup db file and complete the recovery process. Thank you in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need your help please.

. I changed the username of my login on my Mac, but I didn't realize that it would also remove my admin status. Now, I don't have an admin user on my Mac, and I need to re-add one Although my SSD is new and I haven't added many files yet I can't create a reboot disk (need admin) and reinstall Sierra that easily. so any simpler method would be great.

I tried to fix this issue by running the following commands in recovery mode:
1. mount -uw /
2. rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

However, I received an error message stating that there is no such file or directory. After some research, I realized that the command is not looking at the correct drive, so I need to change the directories to my new SSD drive. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble doing so. Can someone explain to me how to change the directory and find the Appleset up db file? Please provide clear and precise steps.

My SSD drive is named SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO, but when I tried to change the directory by typing "cd SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO", it didn't recognize it. ??

I would really appreciate it if someone could provide me with clear instructions on how to find the Applesetup db file and complete the recovery process. Thank you in advance for your help!
It sounds like you have not yet formatted the SSD drive. At least, the hardware itself is recognized. If you can boot into Recovery (start and immediately hold down ⌘-R), then go into Disk Utility, initialize (format) the SSD and give the container a name. Afterwards, you should be able to install macOS onto it, still using Recovery.

If successful, you will have the option to create a brand new system drive, or migrate your old information from your previous system drive or Time Machine backup. Good luck.

Reaction score
I'm unsure which of us is reading this wrong....

I formatted the new SSD installed High Sierra etc all working fine. Since , I have changed username and in doing so removed admin rights by default.

I'm not seeking to reformat the SSD? Simply run the process that performs the ability to create an admin user on reboot.

thanks

Reaction score
I take it that you deliberately named the SSD “SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO,” identical to the name of the device. That means that when you view your drives in Disk Utility, it shows up as SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO at the top layer, then below it “Container disk(#)” and below that the name you gave it, SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO. If that’s the case, then I interpreted wrong and your next attempt would be to install macOS on the volume named SAMSUNG SSD 870 EVO and take it from there. It should allow you to start with a new admin, and you can migrate/import the rest of the data from the old drive or Time Machine.

Just to illustrate… if I had done what you did, Macintosh HD would be replaced by APPLE SSD AP2048R Media.

Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 07.00.34.jpg

Reaction score
So If I just rename it Macintosh HD - I could use the following code

rm “/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone”

then Reboot to reinitiate an ADMIN user?

Reaction score
So If I just rename it Macintosh HD - I could use the following code

rm “/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone”

then Reboot to reinitiate an ADMIN user?
Easier than that. After you initialize the SSD and give it a name (e.g. Macintosh HD), while still in Recovery, you can exit Disk Utility and select Install macOS (version) on the new volume. This assumes that you are connected to the internet and that you entered your Apple ID beforehand. If the system installation was successful, you can either choose to install a new admin user, or migrate from your old data. If you really don’t have an admin user on the old drive, you should go ahead and create a new one, which you can later delete after you have fixed the privileges on the old one(s).

You probably won’t have a choice on what version of macOS to install at this stage. Recovery usually selects the highest version that your hardware will take.

Reaction score
Hi MacMan,

When you changed your username, this should not change the privilege level of the user.

What process did you use to change the user name?

Also, how do you know that your username now has no admin prvelidges?

Reaction score
Hi MacMan,

When you changed your username, this should not change the privilege level of the user.

I didn’t think about changing user names. Can’t even think of how to change it, other than creating a new user and migrating the old one into it.

What will happen initially is the account you create after the macOS installation will automatically have admin privileges. Then you can import/migrate your existing users into the new drive. Afterwards, the new you, as admin, can easily change the privileges of the other users, Admin or otherwise. After you have made at least one other user an administrator, you can delete the original user you created, if you wish to. I recommend keeping it there for a while, just in case…

Reaction score
Hacking around my settings, I discovered how to change a user’s name among other settings. Go to System Settings (or Preferences), Users & Groups, and from the list, select the user you wish to change while holding down the Control key. A popup will appear with Advanced Options… There, you will be able to make the changes.

Some labels may be different from your setup. I’m doing this in Sonoma.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

The Advanced Settings have always been there is OS X. You can make many changes, however its best done from the root account to make sure that you don't change things that will lock you out if the system.

You can also change a username via the terminal.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

The Advanced Settings have always been there is OS X. You can make many changes, however its best done from the root account to make sure that you don't change things that will lock you out if the system.

You can also change a username via the terminal.
Yes, if you wish to deal with Open Directory Utility, activating root and deactivating afterwards, and the powers of any admin account under Advanced Options will do just as well. And if I were a newbie user, I wouldn’t want to deal with all that.

After this thread is resolved, I will suggest enabling TRIM on the new SSD, in case it was not activated before. This time, a Terminal command will be necessary, but “sudo” will be sufficient—no need to enable root.

Reaction score
Hi MacMan,

It had admin written below it previously, then as soon as I altered and saved name it switched to "Standard" Changed name in User groups in preferences.

It turns out you can only change user details in an alternate admin account. You cant while logged into the same account

Reaction score
Thanks- all sorted. I had to go into command R and disk utility and perform actions there. TBH had the same issue with file read only etc but... seemingly when i rebooted.. it took me to the create user menu start-up,so I could create a new admin account - so didn't have to reformat disk/reinstall H Sierra.

All good!

Reaction score
Yes, if you wish to deal with Open Directory Utility, activating root and deactivating afterwards, and the powers of any admin account under Advanced Options will do just as well. And if I were a newbie user, I wouldn’t want to deal with all that.

After this thread is resolved, I will suggest enabling TRIM on the new SSD, in case it was not activated before. This time, a Terminal command will be necessary, but “sudo” will be sufficient—no need to enable root.
Are there any negatives with TRIM?

Reaction score
Are there any negatives with TRIM?
None, TRIM will keep your SSD in optimal health by deleting files from free space when the computer is idle vs deleting things as the SSD writes to the drive.

To enable trim, just go to the terminal and type in sudo trimforce enable

Ask a Question