SOLVED Adjusting color etc. on new monitor

Reaction score
A couple of days ago, we suffered a severe (electricity) "spike" here in Westchester (near LAX), as we have many times before. But unlike earlier electricity problems, that never caused any actual harm to anything, this time, it was too much for my monitor and I had to get something to replace it....so I got a Vizio 32 inch TV which I connect to my MacPro 3.1 via HDMI. – No problem with that and I was kind of looking forward to using the Mac system software to "tweak" appearance of monitor as I had before – on TWO systems – SnowLeopard and later El Capitan.
I remembered how the process involved steps where you had to carefully determine on smallish graphs when tones and colors "matched" and once that was done, you had a pretty well adjusted monitor.
But when I started this process this time, it wasn't the same! Under El Capitan, all I had was a square graph that had to be adjusted so all greys matched...gamma you could set to 1.4 or 2.1 or 2.2, if I remember...
So, where did all those more precise adjustment possibilities go....? – ...I thought it was ColorSync, but ColorSync doesn't show up under System Preferences....
Under SnowLeopard I did the same thing, but had a little more control and it worked out fairly well.
Anyone understand what happened here...where did the controls that were there under SnowLeopard AND El Capitan go? – ...is there some cool freeware I should know about...that deals with this, other than the system software...?
Grateful for any illumination on this.. : )
Gunnar(inLA)

Reaction score
....it worked...! – THANK you..!!
THIS is what I remember doing years and years back....so now I have done it on my El Capitan startup drive...thing is, the first time I did it was on my SnowLeopard drive and when I attempted to do it (yesterday) on SnowLeopard, these controls were not available there either....and I see no facility for "exporting" profile (or importing to another system version) so I still have to solve that problem...
One thing in the instruction(s) one has to disregard (in my opinion) is the contrast and brightness settings for the monitor – newer screens will have LED backlighting and they are VERY bright...so I had to start out bringing down the light quite a bit...after that, the OS system controls were very, very close to perfect from the beginning, but I did a few very minor adjustments.
...did Apple remove expert controls from systems older that 10.11...? – I tried to do a search for "expert calibration controls OSX 10.6.8 snowleopard", but didn't find anything that looked promising....
Again – Thank You for link!
Gunnar

Ask a Question