Adjusting iMAC display size

Reaction score
Hello All,
I just got my iMAC a week ago and I'm excited about all the possibilites of using this new machine, especially with photographs. I tried a good part of a day to figure out how to increase the display size on my 27" monitor. I hate to make the comparison to windows but I must.
When I open a browser in Windows the "zoom" level of the view defaults to 100%. But, taking into consideration what I'm viewing, I'm able to increase it upward to 125% or maybe downward to say, 75%. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do the same on my iMAC. I'm straining my eyes to see the font and other content. Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
The resolution is set for the crispest text and images.

System Preferences > Display > Scaled, give poor options
System Preferences > Accessibility > Zoom lets you zoom in and out...

maybe its time to upgrade your glasses...

Reaction score
Thanks. My glasses are new. I like seeing what's on the screen in a larger format. I do not need to change the resolution, the zooming factor is hopefully going to help...I will see.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
This may help msaardvark, Safari and Mail & Preview (there may be more apps), pressing ⌘ +/- works for me …

In iPhoto there is "Enter Full Screen" found under View in the menubar, which has it's own Zoom slider down the bottom left of the screen.

Reaction score
OS X uses Points as its internal unit of measurement, not pixels, a point is a real life set distance, 1/72".
This means that the Menu bar is 22 Points regardless of the underling screen resolution. If Apple had not changed to this system the whole OS on the new retina screens would be very small indeed, but it's not. The Menu bar, Icons, everything in the OS are exactly the same size, across a large 27" screen, down to the high res Mac Book Pros, and any new screen res they may bring out in the future.

While there are ways, which I pointed out, to work around this and enlarge the Menu Bar these options may not be supported in the future.

Reaction score
This may help msaardvark, Safari and Mail & Preview (there may be more apps), pressing ⌘ +/- works for me …

In iPhoto there is "Enter Full Screen" found under View in the menubar, which has it's own Zoom slider down the bottom left of the screen.
Spawn_Dooley, Thanks for your help, it is exactly what I needed. And your attitude is especially appreciated, very nice. I've been on a pc since the early '90's and do understand a lot about windows machines but this is a whole new animal. Other advisors seem to forget that not everyone is stupid, rather still learning. Thanks again.

Ask a Question