500mps but still slow internet

Reaction score
Hello all,

Apple Mac mini Core i5 2.5 (Mid-2011) MC816LL/A - Macmini5,2 - A1347 - 2442

Standard AirPort: 802.11a/b/g/n
Standard Ethernet: 10/100/1000Base-T
OSX 10.13.5 High Sierra

I've upgraded my internet to 500mps (Virgin Media)

I have checked with various speedtest sites and my speed can be anywhere between
56-112mps over Wifi.
I also checked my macmini using my grandsons 20ft ethernet cable and am getting 269mps.

*My grandson is getting well in excesss of 500mps on his windows pc using the same cable*

Virgin say that guarantee at least 400-450mps.

I have tried setting the MTU (after checking it in terminal) to 1500 (1472+28)
On the virgin media router. No change. Still the same lousy speed.
After restarting the router etc.

The funny thing is I also have a macbook that is 100+ on the mac OS side but 250+
on the partitioned installed windows 7 side using a short ethernet cable !

Can anyone give me any more pointers as how to speed it up?
I do realise it is an older mac, but I would have thought I could get faster speeds
than I am currently getting.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Hiya Marty,
Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the router is O.K as my Grandson gets speeds in excess of 500mps. I shall enquire though. Kind regards

Reaction score
Well, if you have the exact same model of the modem, and the exact same model of the router, then the issue is something else.

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this is from Dec but just seen it.
I have checked with various speedtest sites and my speed can be anywhere between
56-112mps over Wifi.
I also checked my macmini using my grandsons 20ft ethernet cable and am getting 269mps.

If you have not done so try checking to see if you are set to IPv6 or IPv4, I would recommend IPv6, and to make sure it is enabled do the following.

1. System Preferences
  2. Network
  3. Choose your connection type. I only use WiFi so that was my selection in the dropdown list on the left.
  4. Advanced Button
  5. Select the TCP/IP
  6. Change the Configure IPv6 drop-down box from Off to Automatically as my screen shot.

Attachments

• internet.jpg
    internet.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 90

Ask a Question