SOLVED How can one replace a video by a still picture?

Reaction score
My question is about replacing a video by a still picture on the original place that the video had in a row of other photos.

I know how to make a still of a video and to choose its format, I will use .JPEG. The chosen picture will then be transported to PICTURES.

But how do I now put back the still to the positition the original (but necessarily deleted) video took between my (.JPEG-) pictures in Photos Library.photoslibrary? And without causing trouble?

This question is because many short videos were taken against my wishes.

I use a MacBook Pro with macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Thanks in advance for your help! Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry, but I am a bit confused about your question. Can you explain a bit further and/or upload photos of what you are trying to accomplish?

It sounds like you mean you are deleting video from the Photos app, and want to keep the sequence the same by substituing an image in the place the video was listed in an album or library view?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. Well, then. In Photos I have a lot of videos which take some 4 sec each. It was because a setting of the camera was not OK for some time. I want to get rid of these videos, but not loose the 'subject' of course: I want to conserve it as a still picture, I will choose (hopefully) the best frame of the video sequence. I know how. But how do I put this still picture back (/or next) to the original place where video was (/is and delete the video after that)? In the method I use the stills I made end up in Pictures, but not in Photos Library.photoslibrary. How can I integrate the stills into the Photos Library.photoslibrary (to their rightful position)? Or would it eventually better to make e.g. an album and do the rearrangement there if possible? Dirk

Reaction score
To Cory: I studied this problem in the 'Moments' view of Photos, maybe you understand me still better knowing that. Dirk

Reaction score
Before you delete the video, Ctrl click on it and select "Get Info". Make a note of the exact date and time of the video: eg, 25 September 2018 13:37:09

Having made your jpeg, after importing it into Photos, select it, then from the Image Menu choose Adjust Date and Time..., then enter the new date and time. This should then put the photo in it's correct place when viewed by clicking on the Photos tab in the Sidebar.

Ask a Question