2011 Macbook Pro i5-16GB-525GB SSD -- Time to Replace?

Reaction score
Hi, I have an early-2011 MBP 13", dual-core i5 which I upgraded to 16GB RAM & a 525 GB SSD, plus a new battery. MacOS High Sierra. Made a huge difference in speed which is now adequate. Model is just too old to use AirDrop but not a concern. I output the screen to an Asus 19" monitor on my desk; when travelling the (non-Retina) MBP screen is a bit small for my old eyes. I like the magsafe power connection and internal disk drive (still works perfectly) which are no longer supplied by Apple.

I would love a theoretical Apple 17" laptop screen but wouldn't return to using Windows to achieve that. A new or more-recent 15" Macbook Pro with Retina would cover me for home and travel use, possibly with a bigger home monitor. Would I see any other benefits such as speed? Is it worth economising with a 2 or 3-year-old used model, or should I go for new if I can afford it? Thanks for your insight.

Reaction score
Hi again ... has nobody ever updated their old Macbook? Miss anything about the old one?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry we never replied to this.

It really depends on what you use your current MBP for, and what features newer models of hardware and macOS offer that your current Mac doesn't. I used to upgrade my Macs every 1-2 years when I was doing a lot of audio production, photography, and wanted the latest and greatest. Over the years, my needs have drastically changed, and I now only do basic office, iTunes, and Internet tasks. So, I have been using my current 2009 iMac, 2009 Mac mini, and only recently upgraded from an iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 6s.

Does that help at all?

C

Reaction score
Shows how well Macs last, for the modest extra initial outlay. Better than 10-year-old cars! I too only do simple tasks and a bigger external monitor is a much cheaper display solution, for home use, than buying a Retina-screened Macbook. My 2011 MBP 13" still has life in it but a 15" Retina MBP would be far better for travel when I can't carry the monitor along. So the final decision revolves around my amount of travel with only a low-res laptop.

How about buying a Retina new versus used? Macbooks retain their value well compared to cars where I'd prefer a rich sucker to take the first, substantial hit. Thanks for the tips.

Reaction score
Quick follow-up question: would a Windows 17-inch or 19-inch notebook screen match the resolution of Apple's 15-inch MBP screen? Thanks.

Ask a Question