250gb of unknown data on HD

Reaction score
Hi

I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2009. 500gb hard drive

Over the weekend I had a hard disk issue. Everything was working great, then all of a sudden everything froze. Rebooted, I'd hear the bong, then just grey screen and the spinning icon.

Rebooted in recovery mode. Ran disc utility 3 times. Came back HD need to be reformatted each time. So I did.

Then reinstalled OSX 10.8.5. Install went fine, rebooted fine too.

Luckily I've been running Time Machine for about 6 months. So everything else, Apps, data, etc, is there.

Well before the drive failure, I had about 250gb of data, apps, ect. HD size is 500gb.

Ran Migration Assistant to reinstall data, apps, ect from TM.

Before the drive issue, I had aprox 220gb of data, apps, etc. and roughly 250gb free space.

Well now the HD's get info window says I have 475gb of data, and 25gb of free space.

So now I have aprox 250gb of "data" that unaccounted for.

How do I find it? How do I get rid of it and reclaim the space?

Thanks!!
Tom

Reaction score
PS

I suspect my Time Machine is backing up this unknown "Data" It's currently processing and backing up 250gb of data.

Reaction score
Well I think I may have found the issue.

There's a hidden file that I suspect is for Time Machine. It name is MobileBackups and has a TM logo. It's currently 499GB.

What is it for? Is this my problem? How do i get rid of it?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Don't worry about it TM will delete it when it's no longer needed or the Mac needs the space.

Reaction score
Hi,

There's a hidden file that I suspect is for Time Machine. It name is MobileBackups

Think this is your iPhone / iPad backups and should be found here.
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

You can happily delete if you backup to the cloud.

Ask a Question