Unknown Antivirus running in background causing cooling fan to run all the time

Reaction score
Help Mac Helpers..I am hoping someone can help me find a way to turn off an antivirus that is running (shown in Activity Monitor) causing heavy use of the CPU and in-turn the cooling fan is on just about all the time. I did have MacKeeper and have run a complete antivirus then turned it off (no luck).. Any suggestions you would be kind enough to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which model Mac?
-Which antivirus is running, and have you tried an uninstall of that software?
-What is the process that is running in Activity Monitor?

C

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the quick reply,
OS 10.11.3
Mac Air Late 2010
Antivirus: I don't know, I cannot find any software on my computer that would produce this. I deleted all the MacKeeper files. Would uninstall if I knew where to go..
Activity Monitor, I get there via Applications/Utilities.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I only asked what antivirus, because you mentioned that in the title of your post.

The simplest way to figure out what may be causing the fan issue, is to look in Activity Monitor and sort the processes by % CPU. If you monitor that for a few minutes, and let us know the name of the processes that are using the most CPU percentage, we should be able to determine the steps to resolve it.

C

Reaction score
I tried to capture the line shown on activity monitor; below

AntiVirus 98.5 8.20 4 0 3413 root 0 bytes 0 bytes 32 bit 98.5 - No 164.8 MB No 0 bytes 30 0 bytes 0 bytes 0 0 177.0 MB 163.8 MB 2.7 MB No No 9,619.4 0 bytes No

It comes and goes every few seconds but is taxing the CPU at 90+%..

Reaction score
Hey,, you are my hero.... removing the Mackeeper junk from the applications support file. seems to have done the trick... My fan immediately went back to normal and there is peace again, in computer land. Activity Monitor confirmed the antivirus line is gone.. Thank You soo soo much..

Reaction score
Great job, Cory! I (and I suspect you also) would just wish that folks understand all the perils with MacKeeper, and to not install it at all.

Ask a Question