2008 MBP screen won't turn on, completely black

Reaction score
My computer was asleep 12 hours and I opened it up, it made the usual startup sounds but the screen was completely black. This has happened before but I just needed to jiggle the mouse pad or shut it/reopen it and the screen would appear. This time that did not happen, it's been about an hour and the screen is still completely black. I restarted it by holding the power button and I can hear the motor stop but when I turn it on the white LED light is on but I do not hear the startup chime, I just hear the motor start then the humming of the steady motor but the screen stays black. I also have turned it off and removed the power cord as well as the battery but the same scenario happens after I put the battery back in and start it up.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow but really don't know anything about computers or the hard drive.

I would really appreciate hearing any possible causes before my appt.

I've read some things about The NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor repair extension program but don't really understand it.

Besides the Genius Bar is there anywhere else I should have it looked at?

My AppleCare warranty is expired.

Reaction score
Hi,

This has happened before but I just needed to jiggle the mouse pad or shut it/reopen it and the screen would appear.

When this happened did you get a progress bar appear, if so I suspect it is restoring the contents of RAM from disk.

Would suggest you do a PRAM and NVRAM reset, if unsure have a look here.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as Ceykey5842, and am having the same results. Nothing. I've tried the PRAM thing, I tried backing my MBP 2008 using a second MB, firewire cable, and holding the T while restarting. Nothing happened with that either. I've never had issues with my MB, it simply didn't wake up when I turned it on the other morning. Is there anything else I can try? Does anyone have any other ideas for backing it up? The Genius Bar will attempt to back it up for $100, and send it out to try to fix it for $300. I can't exactly afford that, but I also can't go without my computer. I would so appreciate any suggestions!

I restarted it by holding the power button and I can hear the motor stop but when I turn it on the white LED light is on but I do not hear the startup chime, I just hear the motor start then the humming of the steady motor but the screen stays black. I also have turned it off and removed the power cord as well as the battery but the same scenario happens after I put the battery back in and start it up.

Reaction score
Try an SMC reset,

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

Ask a Question