YouTube gets stuck in black screen

Reaction score
Hi, I've had this issue before where YouTube would get stuck in a black screen and won't even show the buttons to play/pause, etc. When I first got this iMac, I found this problem to happen after accessing www.scrabblefinder.com

I don't know what it is about that website that not only made Safari stop working, but also managed to mess up YouTube and doesn't let me through. If anyone has any clue of how I can get YouTube videos to work again. I do notice YouTube does work just fine when I put it on Private Browsing, it works just fine.

I tried all the basic stuff, like terminating the program, looking for software updates, etc. And I don't really see the point of getting another browser, because aside from this time, it has never crashed on me.

This might be something basic, but I can't figure out exactly what's happening, so please lend me a hand if you can, it'll be much appreciated.

Thanks!

System: iMac i7
Browser: Safari

Reaction score
Just did that, and it's still the same thing. My suspicion is that that particular webpage messed something up with the cookies, because YouTube had been working perfectly fine until I used that webpage.

Reaction score
Yes, done that too. The only thing I haven't done is to reset Safari. Cause I don't know if that would do anything to change that problem.

Reaction score
Yes, that did it! I had never reset Safari before, so I jotted down all the URLs of my bookmarks in case they went away, but it wasn't necessary. Now YouTube works fine again. Thanks for coping with me, and if you do by chance see how that website trampled with YouTube, please don't hesitate to let me know, cause it's happened twice and it still makes me scratch my head.

Thanks mate!

Reaction score
Same thing has been happening to me. I find setting Safari to Private Browsing solves the problem -- but I have to keep resetting it with every visit.

Reaction score
Private Browsing
just doesn't use the Caches so its doing the same thing, as clearing the cache after the page corrupts it. Seems a bit extreme to not have access to your search and history, because of 1 bad site. If you know the site, tell them they might be able to remove the Flash Advert or hacked page.

Ask a Question